First time chicken farmer, having comb issues, should I be concerned?

glitchchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
SW MI
This is Brownie:

She is a 16 week old ISA Brown, She is my main concern right now. So far she has been checked for mites and there are none to be found. I am doubtful that she has worms, but anything is possible. I am slightly worried about her since she has a very small pale comb/face compared the the other hens. Her 5 sisters are all starting to lay their first eggs and she is not. But they are young and I am not bothered by that so much.

She seems to have a bit of almost purple paleness to her face as well, but her feathers are full and healthy and her behavior, though skirmish is comparatively fine.

Currently she is on Purina flock raiser, chicken safe table scraps and from time to time scratch and meal worms. I also add electrolytes to their water (which they have 5 different clean sources of in the yard). She is in a 80ft chicken pen for part of the day and free ranges for the rest until bed time.

I think I am doing okay with them, since the rest look great. But she is different and I am just curious what I should check for to make sure she is a-ok.

Here is her sister for comparison:

So, what does it mean to be over all healthy acting but have a considerably small comb and pale face. What can I check and what should I do, if anything at all?

First time chicken herder here, so thanks in advance!

Sounds like you are doing a fine job. I think maybe Brownie is a little younger then Sister. She will probably grow in just fine. I have two red sex links and I thought they were the same age but turned out one matured much faster then the other one. But the slowest one caught up because she layed first..

chickens are like kids some grow slower than others..I have a white rock hen that was the runt and now she's the biggest of the hens. Just give her time.

I think your little girl is completely normal. Comb sizes, as well as amount of feathering on the face, varies from chicken to chicken. It's just cosmetic. If she acts fine, she probably is. As she comes to point of lay, the paleness will disappear.

I have a few who are lighter in coloring, and have smaller combs. They are all starting to lay. I do have one girl, who is special. Her feet are deformed, and her beak is just slightly crossed, and she has not developed any comb much to speak of. I am not sure if she will lay, but she is a sweet and wonderful bird, and she will live out whatever days she has with me.

Back
Top Bottom