Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
2 out of my 5 pullets are starting to lay finally! It's been about 2 weeks of laying every day to every other day. I was going to wait until next spring to incubate some, but I am just way too excited!! Is it too early to try hatching them? I want healthy chicks, of course. The rooster has definitely been "bothering" the ladies lol. I was thinking of starting with 6-8 eggs.

My two questions...
1. Is it too soon to hatch them since they're just starting out laying eggs?

2. It is August (end of summer) right now and it will be middle of fall close to winter by the time the chicks would go outside and be fully feathered if successful. Would it be too cold for them? (Between 35-50 degrees F) all my birds are cold hardy.

I am new to this so any advice is appreciated! Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20230812_162402.jpg
    20230812_162402.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 43
The eggs are still on the small size, it best to wait until the birds have been laying 3-4 months.
Have you checked fertilization bullseye on the yolk?

I would suggest waiting. I just tried to hatch a couple from my young flock...one was a double yolker...developed all the way, even had half their yolk sacs absorbed...but twins rarely make it and pullets like to lay doubles...
The other drowned in the shell...

I can't explain it correctly but something abt the ratio being off since they are young pullets....and caused drowning ...imma go grab the explanation ....

"Using big eggs for incubation that were laid by young pullets/hens as the yolk:albumen ratio will be unfavourable. There will often be too much albumen left on hatching day and the chicks will aspirate it when trying to take in their first breath."

The explanation

"Using big eggs for incubation that were laid by young pullets/hens as the yolk:albumen ratio will be unfavourable. There will often be too much albumen left on hatching day and the chicks will aspirate it when trying to take in their first breath."

The explanation
Oh my, thank you! So sorry to hear about yours not being successful. These eggs are still quite small. But, that's what I was thinking is their bodies haven't quite figured it out yet. I'm very excited but also want to make sure it's done properly. Thank you again for the help!

2 out of my 5 pullets are starting to lay finally! It's been about 2 weeks of laying every day to every other day. I was going to wait until next spring to incubate some, but I am just way too excited!! Is it too early to try hatching them? I want healthy chicks, of course. The rooster has definitely been "bothering" the ladies lol. I was thinking of starting with 6-8 eggs.

My two questions...
1. Is it too soon to hatch them since they're just starting out laying eggs?

2. It is August (end of summer) right now and it will be middle of fall close to winter by the time the chicks would go outside and be fully feathered if successful. Would it be too cold for them? (Between 35-50 degrees F) all my birds are cold hardy.

I am new to this so any advice is appreciated! Thank you!!
I just want to update, I decided to make an impulse move and just order some 1 day old chicks 😂 perhaps next year we will hatch out a few! Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom