First time hatcher of a mystery chicken breed. Seems like there is a detached air cell? Also, how far along is this egg?

I’ve seen chicken eggs that look like that before and mine haven’t made it. But it is still alive so I would leave it in there just to be sure! The duck egg looks good though!

Also that sounds so great that you are getting eggs! 4 eggs is probably ok, but usually not all eggs hatch so if 3 hatch than you could get 1 hen and 2 roosters. You just have to take in all odds.

I’ve seen chicken eggs that look like that before and mine haven’t made it. But it is still alive so I would leave it in there just to be sure! The duck egg looks good though!

Also that sounds so great that you are getting eggs! 4 eggs is probably ok, but usually not all eggs hatch so if 3 hatch than you could get 1 hen and 2 roosters. You just have to take in all odds.

She only has 3 Orpingtons so she told me she'd have 4 eggs or 6 at most, if all her girls laid today? That's word for word what she said so I'll just take her word for it.

I mostly want them because I heard that they are amongst the sweetest breed. My first ever chickens were 3 Black Stars and a Barred Rock that I bought as chicks. Let me tell you, I never knew how sweet chickens can be! They were my literal lap chickens. Gosh, my heart broke when I had to rehome them but I made sure it was with someone that would give them ample space and have them as pets even after they stopped laying.

I still get pictures and they are still sweet as ever!

I'm hoping my new girls will be just as sweet! What breeds do you have? I'm thinking about also picking up 2 Easter Egger eggs from someone else as I just love their little beards and have heard that they are also super sweet.

Oh! I have so many breeds…
2 Blue Cochins
3 Ayam Ketawa
12 Ayam Cemanis
1 Splash Silkie
3 Blue Silkies
1 RIR bantam
2 Silver Laced Polish
1 White Leghorn
5 Easter Eggers
3 Barnyard Mix
1 Barred Rock
1 Balck Astrolourp
2 Jubilee Orpingtons
10 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
1 Black Cooper Marans
3 Lavender Orpingtons
3 White Silkies
1 Silver chocolate laced orpington

Orpingtons are definitely a sweet breed. I love their heavyset bodies. They are very pretty. Easter Eggers are cool because you never know what they will look like until they get older. They are also very nice and lay very pretty eggs too!

Oh! I have so many breeds…
2 Blue Cochins
3 Ayam Ketawa
12 Ayam Cemanis
1 Splash Silkie
3 Blue Silkies
1 RIR bantam
2 Silver Laced Polish
1 White Leghorn
5 Easter Eggers
3 Barnyard Mix
1 Barred Rock
1 Balck Astrolourp
2 Jubilee Orpingtons
10 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
1 Black Cooper Marans
3 Lavender Orpingtons
3 White Silkies
1 Silver chocolate laced orpington

Orpingtons are definitely a sweet breed. I love their heavyset bodies. They are very pretty. Easter Eggers are cool because you never know what they will look like until they get older. They are also very nice and lay very pretty eggs too!
OH MY GOSH. You are living my dream life!!!

I'm drooling over your list. My heart is so happy to even read this!
If you had to pick (and I know it's really hard) what would you say are your top 3 breeds out of what you own?! And why (if you don't mind :wee)

OH MY GOSH. You are living my dream life!!!

I'm drooling over your list. My heart is so happy to even read this!
If you had to pick (and I know it's really hard) what would you say are your top 3 breeds out of what you own?! And why (if you don't mind :wee)
I hope one day you have many many chickens!

I would pick…
Silkies, Orpingtons and Cochins.

Silkies because they are super soft and fluffy and when you breed them with other colors you never know what color of silkie it will be. Like if you breed a blue to a splash you could get blue or black or splash! Also I heard they go broody easily.

Orpingtons because they are very heavyset and come in so many different colors and I love all of their colors.

And Cochins because they have super heavy duty feathered feet. You can’t see their legs because of all the feathers. Also they are really cool looking and go broody easy.

I hope one day you have many many chickens!

I would pick…
Silkies, Orpingtons and Cochins.

Silkies because they are super soft and fluffy and when you breed them with other colors you never know what color of silkie it will be. Like if you breed a blue to a splash you could get blue or black or splash! Also I heard they go broody easily.

Orpingtons because they are very heavyset and come in so many different colors and I love all of their colors.

And Cochins because they have super heavy duty feathered feet. You can’t see their legs because of all the feathers. Also they are really cool looking and go broody easy.

AWESOME ANSWER!

I plan on having Silkie's again one day! They are just so incredibly sweet and soft. If they were also great layers.. I'd be sold! I saw on MyPetChicken that they're selling a type of Silkie that was cross-bred over generations with Easter Egger's so they now are prolific layers of blue eggs. They're also a bit larger than regular Silkies.

Have you heard of anyone with those? I was curious about them but really want to hatch my own eggs so I opted out.

Funny you said Cochins because I was between Orpingtons or Cochins! However, the stars aligned and someone locally have Lavender Orpies which have always been my dream breed so I hopped on that train quick!

This just makes me even more excited for my babies!

I'm a bit nervous about hatching the eggs though ):
I'm kind of intimidated, to be honest. Would it be okay if I canceled them quickly every day or is that not advised?

AWESOME ANSWER!

I plan on having Silkie's again one day! They are just so incredibly sweet and soft. If they were also great layers.. I'd be sold! I saw on MyPetChicken that they're selling a type of Silkie that was cross-bred over generations with Easter Egger's so they now are prolific layers of blue eggs. They're also a bit larger than regular Silkies.

Have you heard of anyone with those? I was curious about them but really want to hatch my own eggs so I opted out.

Funny you said Cochins because I was between Orpingtons or Cochins! However, the stars aligned and someone locally have Lavender Orpies which have always been my dream breed so I hopped on that train quick!

This just makes me even more excited for my babies!

I'm a bit nervous about hatching the eggs though ):
I'm kind of intimidated, to be honest. Would it be okay if I canceled them quickly every day or is that not advised?
I’ve never heard of those before. Sounds cool though. Are they still soft?

It is always a bit nerve wracking to hatch eggs but just ask a lot of questions, always.

Yes you can candle every day, it will not hurt them. They can be out of the incubator for up to 30 minutes before the embryo starts cooling down. I usually candle days 7,14,18 but feel free to candle whenever!

I’ve never heard of those before. Sounds cool though. Are they still soft?

It is always a bit nerve wracking to hatch eggs but just ask a lot of questions, always.

Yes you can candle every day, it will not hurt them. They can be out of the incubator for up to 30 minutes before the embryo starts cooling down. I usually candle days 7,14,18 but feel free to candle whenever!

Since they'll be my first eggs, I think I might candle them every day because I'm just SO EXCITED! I'll do it quickly though so it won't harm the eggs!

The website lists them looking exactly like a Silkie would!

I seriously can't wait! How do you like your Wyandotte's?! Such pretty coloring you have for your 10!

Since they'll be my first eggs, I think I might candle them every day because I'm just SO EXCITED! I'll do it quickly though so it won't harm the eggs!

The website lists them looking exactly like a Silkie would!

I seriously can't wait! How do you like your Wyandotte's?! Such pretty coloring you have for your 10!
My wyandotte’s are just normal. Nothing extraordinary but they aren’t horrible either. They are a pretty color aren’t they! I had 2 than hatched another and then accidentally hatched 7! The breeder told me they were jubilee orpingtons and they were, in fact, not. I knew it from the start but thought I was being too paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom