First time hatchers hatch A-long!

Could it be this? The bruising was mentioned in the Assisted Hatching article:

Head in Wrong End of Egg

This malposition commonly results from an egg being set small end up in the turner instead of large end up, so it is very important to make sure that you are setting the eggs correctly in the turner. In this malposition, the chick is facing the wrong way in the egg. They will end up externally pipping at the wrong end of the egg, where of course there is no air cell. Just like a Facing Away From Air Cell chick, you will need allow more time before worrying that they are in need of help, and again, they usually can hatch all on their own. You can open the egg over the air cell to assess how far along absorbing is if it is seeming like the chick needs help. Make sure you're allowing plenty of time before doing this because most of the time, they get out on their own just fine with no interference needed.

With duck eggs, especially Call eggs, sometimes the duckling cannot externally pip the shell, but you will see evidence that it has tried. The shell will look like it has a bruise.

Picture by @casportpony

In this case, you will need to very carefully open the shell over the bruise. Start by making a small hole with your screw and then widen it until you can find the beak so that the duckling can breathe.

Picture by @casportpony

After you find the beak, apply coconut oil to any internal membrane you have exposed so that it does not dry out. Hopefully the duckling can take it from here. If not, and this will be common with Calls because of their short necks and beaks, you will need to go for the full assist. Just as with other assists, open the shell over the air cell so you can monitor absorption. In this case, you will probably also be able to see the yolk and will be able to know when that has absorbed too. Here is a picture of a backwards chick that is still absorbing. You can see the veins, the yolk, and the leftover embryonic waste.

Once everything is absorbed, you will likely need to finish hatching the duckling out because with no bottom shell to push on it won't have the leverage to get itself out. Since you can see everything absorbing, wait until it's done, and then open the egg and take the duckling out.
Thank you, Im going to wait until the others are out until i try to intervene if necessary. This egg was large side up pointed side down so maybe it hasn't made it into position yet and accidentally pipped the inside.... Im hoping it makes it. This one was our favorite to watch from the outside looking in <3

I think my hatch may be done.
28 out of 32. There is 2 eggs left but one was marked as suspect at the day 17 candling and the other hasn’t made any progress in over 18 hours and I can’t see any signs of movement like I could with the others. I’ll candle after dark tonight just to be sure.

I think my hatch may be done.
28 out of 32. There is 2 eggs left but one was marked as suspect at the day 17 candling and the other hasn’t made any progress in over 18 hours and I can’t see any signs of movement like I could with the others. I’ll candle after dark tonight just to be sure.
I'm sorry about the last few eggs. 28 out of 32 is still really good! I only have 2 surviving eggs left from the EE and Dark Brahama batch, and I stated with 12! Their only on day 13!
Your doing way better then me haha!
Congratulations on all your babies, its so exciting you got so many!

I've had Early bird in the incubator for two days now, and she's still now completely dried out. The top of her back and her head are still wet. She also have a pie of curling membrane still stuck to her head that she can't get off, and a small piece of membrane stuck to an egg shell on her back.
She's also peeping like crazy this morning, and I wan't to pull her out and clean her up. I know they're supposed to be in the bator until dry though. Is it normal for her to still be wet? Would she dry faster under the heat lamp not in the super humid incubator? Thanks guys!

Any ideas on what to do about an imprinted lone chick?
Early bird is 105% imprinted. I moved her out of the incubator since she wasn't drying, and into the brooder. If I leave her alone since no other eggs have hatched, I can hear her panicked peeps from in the house!
I am currently typing with one hand, because the other hand is sitting over the top of Early bird as she sits on a warm bag of rice for warmth. 🤦‍♀️ If I take my hand away, she gets up a runs to it. If I walk away, she panics!

Back
Top Bottom