First time Incubator...

It's fine for them to stay in cartons if you wish. I always hatch in cartons now I find it easier to monitor progress with pips as chicks can't knock eggs around. Just make sure they are cut down enough for them to be able to zip ok. The only down side is if you have a wrong end pipper you can't see them.

Good luck :thumbsup

Enough so the chick can zip round the top of the egg. Here is a pic of mine

The cartons are cut down so they are quite shallow but still enough to support the egg upright.

Clean up is a little easier in egg cartons too. The main con I think is wrong end pips but for me that's not a problem as I'm a hands off hatcher and don't open untill the hatch is done, I may then think about helping any struggling ones.

Last edited:

The cartons are cut down so they are quite shallow but still enough to support the egg upright.

Clean up is a little easier in egg cartons too. The main con I think is wrong end pips but for me that's not a problem as I'm a hands off hatcher and don't open untill the hatch is done, I may then think about helping any struggling ones.
That would be the biggest con I can see with the egg cartons. Mal positioned pips. I'm not a hands off and will assist if I feel it's needed, so I'd be a bit uncomfortable with not being able to see the bottom, however, with that being said, when they are laying down you can't see the opposite side either, so that annoys me too...lol As for clean up, I use the rubber shelf liner under my eggs so I just pull that out and toss it after the hatch. It catches most of the goo. I just feel like it's more natural that they lay down. One day I will make myself get out of my box and do a hatch in egg cartons so I can have a hands on with both methods....lol

What a wonderful idea! I will try this with my upcoming hatchlings

Back
Top Bottom