First timer feeling a little anxious

I feel like we need a file to refer people to (or do we have one already?) about basic set up for new chicks - space, heat source, feed, water etc... I feel like I am writing the same things over and over....
And then some book recommendations for follow up. I feel like too many people embark on this completely uninformed and we can’t educate everyone on a one on one basis...

I feel like we need a file to refer people to (or do we have one already?) about basic set up for new chicks - space, heat source, feed, water etc... I feel like I am writing the same things over and over....
And then some book recommendations for follow up. I feel like too many people embark on this completely uninformed and we can’t educate everyone on a one on one basis...
Most basic chicken raising books cover brooding. Otherwise researching the web can help. There's more information available now than there has been ever before. I used to have to visit my local extension office for information on rearing animals.

Now chicks are sold everywhere. They are often impulse purchases and stores selling them are looking to make money not educate. Like all animals it's best to looking into their care before you get them. If not BYC is a wealth of information and ideas. Most don't mind helping out individuals, and there's lots of articles and ideas here to learn stuff quickly if necessary.

Most basic chicken raising books cover brooding. Otherwise researching the web can help. There's more information available now than there has been ever before. I used to have to visit my local extension office for information on rearing animals.

Now chicks are sold everywhere. They are often impulse purchases and stores selling them are looking to make money not educate. Like all animals it's best to looking into their care before you get them. If not BYC is a wealth of information and ideas. Most don't mind helping out individuals, and there's lots of articles and ideas here to learn stuff quickly if necessary.
I fully agree - I am just wondering if there is an article/post somewhere here to point people to when questions like this come up? I will look if I find a good one, or just write one myself... I have just been repeating “more space, more space...” recently...

I fully agree - I am just wondering if there is an article/post somewhere here to point people to when questions like this come up? I will look if I find a good one, or just write one myself... I have just been repeating “more space, more space...” recently...
There's a learning center somewhere on this site, I should find it.

Most people underestimate the amount of room chickens truly need. It doesn't help that they sell those tiny coops and advertise how many chickens can live in them, which is always too many, actually most of those coops shouldn't house chickens. People go by what they see by these coops, and what the people at the farm stores are telling them. Thankfully some do end up at this site because they want to be informed.

Telling people more space is the endless answer, but it's always the right answer.

There's a learning center somewhere on this site, I should find it.

Most people underestimate the amount of room chickens truly need. It doesn't help that they sell those tiny coops and advertise how many chickens can live in them, which is always too many, actually most of those coops shouldn't house chickens. People go by what they see by these coops, and what the people at the farm stores are telling them. Thankfully some do end up at this site because they want to be informed.

Telling people more space is the endless answer, but it's always the right answer.

:) I think you’re right. Also, people see the chicks at feed stores in their terribly overcrowded bins and might assume that those are ok conditions...

I put them in a way bigger pen but why does this one look like this. It is breathing and I just went in and it's up and playing with the others now ????

Attachments

• 20180327_161644.jpg
    20180327_161644.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 13
I put them in a way bigger pen but why does this one look like this. It is breathing and I just went in and it's up and playing with the others now ????
Sometimes they sleep so deeply the look dead. As long as it's acting normal otherwise I wouldn't worry.

New set up
Better - just hang the lamp so it shines down, not sideways into the whole brooder. You just want to make one warm spot at the very end of the box, not heat the whole brooder.
The chick is just sleeping.... they can scare you - I always checked to see if I could see them breathing, too, when mine were tiny. Just wait till they start dustbathing and you think they are having seizures! :)

Back
Top Bottom