1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First try with incubator set 6/16/11 LOCKDOWN!!! Update 1st post

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by homesteadmomma, Jun 16, 2011.

1. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    These are eggs from some three year old hens. Not sure they are fertile, but I thought this would be a good first try. LG is holding steady at 99.5 and I have no idea what the humidity is because one of my kids took off with the gauge [​IMG] Assuming the outside humidity is at nearly 150%, I think they should be fine. Wish me luck and if anyone else would like to join me in my first time, please feel free!

Update- As stated in my prior post, I only have one egg that made it to lockdown. All others were not fertile (this was suspected from the friend I got the eggs off of) when we cracked them open last night. I'm not sure what to expect, other than this egg will probably hatch early or late or not at all. But it's my first try with a free incubator, and I will not be too upset if I don't get anything.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I will join you. I just set about 300 Pheasant eggs today. [​IMG]

3. homesteadmomma

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    Holy cow! 300! Hope you have much success. I assume with those numbers, you have done this before.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Chicken eggs yes. With Pheasant eggs, this is my first attempt.

5. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I will join too!! I am setting 31 light sussex eggs tomorrow morning. This will be my first time also!

6. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    People hatching close to my time!! It's my first time and I put mine in on the 15th. Can I join? I've said before what I'm hatching but I'm willing to do it again! [​IMG] ; Pure Chocolate Orpington Bantams, Black Belgian Barbu D'Anvers, Creole Pekins and several different colors of Polish hatching eggs (Silver Laced, Gold Laced, Blue, Black and White). I'm quite excited and so keep trying to tell everybody/anybody. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  7. homesteadmomma

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    The more the merrier! Good luck to all! So far the LG is holding steady a hair over 99.5 (right on top of the line) on one thermometer and 99.5 on the digital, so I couldn't be more excited. I've heard too many horror stories of bad LGs. I really hope these eggs are fertile, I'm out of people to get eggs from locally, and I refuse to buy hatching eggs until I've successfully hatched a few in this one.

Mucky-if you ever get tired of those orpingtons, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands [​IMG]

8. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Getting ready to set my eggs! I was wondering if I should go by the temp on the digital or the old fashioned thermometer. They are slightly off and both on top the egg turner right now.

9. Gotsilk?

Gotsilk? Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Ladysmith,WI
    Hi, I would like to join. Just set 15 favarolle eggs shipped from two different people. This will be my third hatch in my brinsea, the first this year. The first two batches I got 50%, hoping for the same this time. Good luck everyone

10. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i just set 10 silkie eggs and a few black stars and barred rocks the only bad thing is that it is going to storm i really hope the power doesnt go out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by