First Winter with ducks, advice please

NorCalDucks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
We have 5 runner ducks and 1 kaiki campbell, they have a 5x4 windowless house. We live in NorCal mountains where it doesn't usually get lower than 20 at night but we are expecting our first snow this weekend. Anything special we need to do for them? Heat lamp?

Be super cautious about heat lamps due to fire risk.

Making sure they have really good insulation, some stack bales of straw or shavings around the inside of the shelter for extra, and at the same time ventilation is important, too, to keep too much moisture from collecting in the house.

I had a backup plan to bring mine into the walkout basement, and that worked so well that I converted a section to the duck's night shelter. Not an option for everyone, but wanted to say, be creative.

And watch the ducks.

I like having a thermometer in the duck shelter to monitor temperature.

Mine go into an outdoor coop at night which is well ventilated but vented in a manner that they don't catch a draft. I have peat moss and shavings on the floor and some hay bale segments tied between the 2x4 studs. Was in the single digits and teens here last week and also last winter. They have plenty of down and don't seem bothered by cold. It probably helps that I have a spring-fed pond that doesn't freeze over and they spend most of their time there when really cold. Make sure they have plenty of quality food and ensure against drafts when they are in at night. As an aside, seems the more blustery it is the better they like being outdoors.

Last edited:
Is it okay to leave them in their coop all day??! Let them out for a while to eat and drink water of course and then put them back in so they're not out in the cold so all day? It's about 15° here They've it been outside through the day which is about 24 so but it's going to be much colder tomorrow through the day.

Mine stay out all day every day. The weather shouldn't bother them. They will be healthier if allowed to roam around but you also need to beware of predators. You will need 10+ sq ft of space per duck if you keep them in for extended periods of time. And you will have mega poop cleanup. Mine have access to their coop all day and only go in when I put them in at night. They will sit on the pond right next to it but need to be coaxed in no matter what the weather is. Here are some photos of them on my pond last week.

Mine go into an outdoor coop at night which is well ventilated but vented in a manner that they don't catch a draft. I have peat moss and shavings on the floor and some hay bale segments tied between the 2x4 studs. Was in the single digits and teens here last week and also last winter. They have plenty of down and don't seem bothered by cold. It probably helps that I have a spring-fed pond that doesn't freeze over and they spend most of their time there when really cold. Make sure they have plenty of quality food and ensure against drafts when they are in at night. As an aside, seems the more blustery it is the better they like being outdoors.
That is so true...the nastier the weather the more my ducks and geese want me to let them out to play in the orchards.

Back
Top Bottom