First winter

Not necessarily... frostbite comes from some combo of cold + dampness + wind/draft, but just walking on snow or ice by itself shouldn't be enough to cause frostbite. 20 degrees is no issue for chickens. -37 could be a problem, so having a draft free and dry roosting area and/or outdoor areas that offer some relief from winds and weather is important.

This ∆∆

And very well ventilated so moisture from the chickens breathing and pooping does not settle on the birds.

I do cover my hoop run but ONLY because it is on the north side of that coop so ices up and stays iced if I don't.

IMG_20171107_073404.jpg

I made it so I can raise the sides or lower them and left a 6" gap next to the building for ventilation on the run.
The building has open soffits on the uphill and downhill sides.
There are 3 windows and even in winter I will open the South one during calm or sunny days.

I'm in SW VA and possibly in the same climate as you...I don't plan to wrap anything...there are all kinds of people on here with chickens that survive much harsher winter conditions than ours. Biggest concern as others have mentioned is keeping their coop dry!

If I don’t wrap my coop ( it’s very airy and drafty ) I’m afraid it’ll get to to cold I also have ducks in there
And wrap my coop but not the roof at all wouldnt that be open enough?

I have a friend in my area or close that said she has to go out every hr or so and break the ice off the water that’s how cold it gets

So if I am reading correctly...

The coop itself (sleeping/laying structure) has a lot of gaps allowing a breeze to flow through.
I would be fixing the gaps so critters like mice, rats, weasels, and snakes cannot mosey on in.

Yes you can wrap the coop if you like. Just keep ventilation in mind when doing so.

Yes you can tarp the run to keep wind from whipping across the run.
Your structure is not built to hold a solid roof on the run and have a slope. I would not tarp the top of either run. Snow and or rain will sag the tarps and drag the structure down with it.

With not covering the run roof you may need to shovel paths for the birds. Mine don't mind waiting on me to shovel. My bigger coop has a wire roof on the run and I do not tarp that run.

And isn’t heated water bowls an electric hazard?
They can be, if the power source is not safe and secure.

Without a roof the snow just falls in... nothing wrong with that.
Well depends on what mesh is on roof.

@J99 what sized mesh is on the run roof?

Where in Kentucky are you?
Guessing that -37°F was a freak windchill.

Need more pics from inside the coop, so we can see where the gaps are.
Measurement of floor space, in feet by feet...get out your tape measure.

Ok floor space will definitely be smaller because I have hen boxes all in there and a brooder , I’ll measure that later and get back to you with pics
The gaps are not gaps so to speak , you can’t see them. It more like cracks airy not insulated lol The pullets all get on top of the hen boxes and perches and brooder so why measure only floor space? That room has a solid roof
The run roof had I think half an inch holes in the smaller run
The big run the roof so far ( roofs not finished it’s open in parts) has like 2 inch holes

Ok floor space will definitely be smaller because I have hen boxes all in there and a brooder , I’ll measure that later and get back to you with pics..... The pullets all get on top of the hen boxes and perches and brooder so why measure only floor space?
You can measure coop enclosure from the outside, width and length.
Just need a fairly accurate size of the building.
The pics inside will tell the rest of the tale.

The gaps are not gaps so to speak , you can’t see them. It more like cracks airy not insulated
They are probably fine, some air movement is good, as long as it's nor strong enough to literally ruffle the feathers on the birds at roost. Any gap/opening larger than 1/2" should be covered with 1/2" hardware cloth to keep predators out.

The run roof had I think half an inch holes in the smaller run
The big run the roof so far ( roofs not finished it’s open in parts) has like 2 inch holes
Depending on how wet the snow is, it can gather on mesh and build up, and need to be cleared off to prevent collapsing, BTDT even with 2x4 fencing, I have to keep a path shoveled to do that and give the birds some room the roam, but we get feet of snow.
full

Ok my exact measurements are
Inside night time coop ( pictures included of inside part only 1F0DC233-ECEA-4D5B-B7CF-DAA2CB9AEA94.jpeg 4C7A9EBF-0531-4D1B-93E3-89FFC0F50DF1.jpeg 1E56EC35-7DCD-4F1C-B9A7-7F7748E46471.jpeg 3C1F35B8-2277-4C42-919D-81732CDB6ACB.jpeg ) 165 by 90 in inches I’m aware it’s not big enough someone told me it wasn’t 300 square foot and I thought it was Someone measured wrong it’s not even half that
The next part
First run 139/169
Second part and third part are one run but oblong and so that measures
164/266
And 153/212

Attachments

• 8DCD90CE-0560-4F31-8BEB-47F883DA051C.jpeg
    8DCD90CE-0560-4F31-8BEB-47F883DA051C.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2D2FD268-4169-46A0-A2B5-9AB1FC17F404.jpeg
    2D2FD268-4169-46A0-A2B5-9AB1FC17F404.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 5
  • CE991DCA-8B82-41A0-A828-48A3792166C7.jpeg
    CE991DCA-8B82-41A0-A828-48A3792166C7.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 5
  • B3B25CB1-3695-4916-A650-77DE4FC6C1E6.jpeg
    B3B25CB1-3695-4916-A650-77DE4FC6C1E6.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 2A1FD180-1EA2-4CC1-9CB0-D58AAF7537C7.jpeg
    2A1FD180-1EA2-4CC1-9CB0-D58AAF7537C7.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 6
someone told me it wasn’t 300 square foot and I thought it was
That was me...in another thread.
Thanks for measuring...and the pics...and for starting a new thread!!!
Will take a closer look here later, short on time now.

Ok I also have another question, how do you personally attach the tarp? Staples? Tape? Tacks ? And how has it worked for you against the wind

Back
Top Bottom