I currently have a bearded dragon in my big tank, but have really loved having African cichlids (Lake Malawi varieties). Amazing behaviors -they are mouth brooders, can change colors and even sexes over time. You would need crushed coral or Dolomite as a substrate, lots of rocks piled up for hiding places, etc. So fun to watch and much easier upkeep than salt water tanks.

Just noticed the date on the original post. I’ll have to look ahead to see what you got set up!

I didn't know that about cichlids. Are they fairly easy to keep? Do they breed in captivity?
Yes to both. Very colorful and hardy. Don't expect to have beautiful live plants though. They can tear them up and like to move their gravel around. I left a tank set up at my old school with a novice fish keeper when i changed districts. Gave her minimal instruction and she had babies in there fairly quickly.

I currently have a bearded dragon in my big tank, but have really loved having African cichlids (Lake Malawi varieties). Amazing behaviors -they are mouth brooders, can change colors and even sexes over time. You would need crushed coral or Dolomite as a substrate, lots of rocks piled up for hiding places, etc. So fun to watch and much easier upkeep than salt water tanks.

Just noticed the date on the original post. I’ll have to look ahead to see what you got set up!
Those sound amazing! :love

I’ll save you some time hahah

I accidentally cracked the 75 on the way home when it hit the side of the car (whoops 😂🙈) but I think it probably would have still held water since I couldn’t really find the crack anyway. But I never tested it and ended up using it as a brooder twice 😂🙈

I ended up buying more 10 gallons and I had several bettas for a while :lau but for some reason I couldn’t keep them alive very long despite the planted tanks and awesome set ups which sucked cause I got really attached to them 😭 so then I ended up just dismantling the inside tanks.

For the goldfish I bought a 110 gallon rubber stock tank from TSC and put them in there and it’s working well. But I didn’t end up putting them in it until last spring because I figured it was too late to put them outside. They’ve been thriving out there.

A couple months ago I added 4 more goldfish and put them in a small garden pond out front and they’ve also been thriving. They are already huge (compared to their original size haha still tiny compared to the older ones 😂) and they have really bright, deep colors :love I love them.

I also added two plecos to the big pond at that time but I never see them. And I know about how it’s supposed to only be one per thing but it’s only temporary and I will be moving everyone soon when I move.

I do also have another stock tank I bought when I turned my brooder into a fish pond :lau used this one once or twice and planning on making it another fish pond as well. Plus I have a hard pond liner thing still I’m considering using.

So yeah.

I accidentally cracked the 75 on the way home when it hit the side of the car (whoops 😂🙈) but I think it probably would have still held water since I couldn’t really find the crack anyway. But I never tested it and ended up using it as a brooder twice 😂🙈

I ended up buying more 10 gallons and I had several bettas for a while :lau but for some reason I couldn’t keep them alive very long despite the planted tanks and awesome set ups which sucked cause I got really attached to them 😭 so then I ended up just dismantling the inside tanks.

For the goldfish I bought a 110 gallon rubber stock tank from TSC and put them in there and it’s working well. But I didn’t end up putting them in it until last spring because I figured it was too late to put them outside. They’ve been thriving out there.

A couple months ago I added 4 more goldfish and put them in a small garden pond out front and they’ve also been thriving. They are already huge (compared to their original size haha still tiny compared to the older ones 😂) and they have really bright, deep colors :love I love them.

I also added two plecos to the big pond at that time but I never see them. And I know about how it’s supposed to only be one per thing but it’s only temporary and I will be moving everyone soon when I move.

I do also have another stock tank I bought when I turned my brooder into a fish pond :lau used this one once or twice and planning on making it another fish pond as well. Plus I have a hard pond liner thing still I’m considering using.

So yeah.
Maybe you need a lizard for that big tank..... Bettas don't eat the plant roots like many people think. I don't know if you do. They do really well with the little betta pellets and a 50% water change once a week (or even less frequently. Just a bubbler to break up the surface tension and they can even live for years without those. The ponds sound awesome! I once made a terrarium with a waterfall and pothos plants, etc and had red eyed tree frogs in it. They were so cool. Loved to hear them call at night.

So yeah.
Okay, so I didn't get my Panda oranda! :rant They didn't have it after someone told me they did! A two-hour drive for nothing! (Well, not exactly nothing.... 😏) I got a pretty little Koi instead, meet Shoto!

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

He's settling into the bunch really well! I think he was glad to get the heck out of that crowded tank! :lau But the fish store was like dying and going into fish heaven! So many tanks and indoor ponds! Beautifully clean and okay staff!

Okay, so I didn't get my Panda oranda! :rant They didn't have it after someone told me they did! A two-hour drive for nothing! (Well, not exactly nothing.... 😏) I got a pretty little Koi instead, meet Shoto!

View attachment 2769358

View attachment 2769359
He's settling into the bunch really well! I think he was glad to get the heck out of that crowded tank! :lau But the fish store was like dying and going into fish heaven! So many tanks and indoor ponds! Beautifully clean and okay staff!
Although I wore maroon today and so people thought I actually worked there! Ha!

Hi everyone! I got a Oscar like 1 year ago in my 29 gallon tank (im not sure). He/she wasnt big when I got him but now he is HUGE. The tank is placed in my dining room and whenever I take him out to clean it he makes a huge mess it's so hard to handle him he gets out of the tub I put him in and I have to grab him to get him back in it and my hand gets cuts everywhere because of his sharp fins. Any tips on handling Oscars? He also won't eat pellets because when he first came my dad fed him meat cuz he was excited for his first meat eating fish and from there on he won't eat anything except meat cooked or raw and insects. Is there any way to get him to eat the pellets? I might also have to sell him because the tank is small for him. If I do sell him wht fish would be suitable for a 29 gallon. I'd also like to make it a planted aquarium but I can't find aquatic plants in Pakistan.

Hi everyone! I got a Oscar like 1 year ago in my 29 gallon tank (im not sure). He/she wasnt big when I got him but now he is HUGE. The tank is placed in my dining room and whenever I take him out to clean it he makes a huge mess it's so hard to handle him he gets out of the tub I put him in and I have to grab him to get him back in it and my hand gets cuts everywhere because of his sharp fins. Any tips on handling Oscars? He also won't eat pellets because when he first came my dad fed him meat cuz he was excited for his first meat eating fish and from there on he won't eat anything except meat cooked or raw and insects. Is there any way to get him to eat the pellets? I might also have to sell him because the tank is small for him. If I do sell him wht fish would be suitable for a 29 gallon. I'd also like to make it a planted aquarium but I can't find aquatic plants in Pakistan.
I'm not sure why you are talking him out to clean the tank. You should be able to get a scrubber with a handle like this
5f13574a-e38d-4d1b-aae2-9d74ba267398_1.9404d7c9c3ca58932e6213ef7a94ce0a.jpeg

Use it to scrape the algae off the sides and let it settle. Then use one of these to siphon clean the gravel. Change out about 20% of the water. Taking most from the gravel at the bottom.
0a0d38df-cfae-4872-a7bb-161ada8fa9f0_1.f69607f505dd874c5f210423171f8ba4.jpeg

He will get used to pellets if you withdraw food for a day or two. Just give him a few at a time at first. Scoop them out if he doesn't eat them after a while. You might even soak them in meat blood or roll them on meat to transfer the smell. It is much harder to starve a fish than overfeed one. You can also give him goldfish now and then for food and entertainment. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom