Pics
He probably is a marble. I'll bet he'll be gorgeous once he's built enough muscle to swim without his tail falling (he's already getting better) and decides what color to be, but in the meantime, I smile every time I look at my ugly duckling.

If they are close to dying I would start now. In 2 days you should be able to tell if its working and no need to even start the new meds BUT if they are hanging in and you really rather use the melifix then wait for it.
So the meds showed up on Thursday, one day earlier than they predicted. I had already started Ich-x, but I did a 75% water change and added the other medications in. I don't know if it's working, honestly I think it's not. I just realized that what I bought (Melafix and Pimafix) are both 'all natural' and I really hope this doesn't mean they're just a preventative or a treatment for very mild cases. I went off the reviews but after 4 days of treatment they are not showing any improvement.

What's also very discouraging is that in one of the tanks (my bigger 20 gal), not only is there fin rot and fish dying left and right, but also ich now! And it only became apparent after I began treating for the fin rot. Maybe it was already there and the stress brought it out. But now I'm truly in a bind because what do I treat first? Clearly ich is a very serious danger, so I'm thinking I should treat it, but I've already started Melafix and Pimafix and am wondering if something would interact with the Ich-x.

Since I got the new meds I've also stopped water changes, since the directions say treat every day for one week and then do a 25% water change, implying that the meds should accumulate in the water?? I hope that's not part of my problem; overdosing because I misinterpreted the instructions.

What's good is that I don't think I see any fungus anymore. I think that's because all the fish that had it died. (Sad right?) I am never, ever buying any guppies from the common guppy tank in the fish store again (at least, not without having a quarantine plan setup). So, I guess I'm paying it back now because I didn't quarantine, but I never though it could be this bad! I mean ich yes, a few fish deaths maybe, but losing half your tank and nothing seems to work!

Eh, I think I'm going to try Ich-x again. At least on the tank that has it, I'll leave the smaller one alone.

take your filter out if it has charcoal in it. That takes the meds out and yes, stop water changes while you treat . Do you have the water heated ? Higher temps along w/ aquarium salt will take care of the ich and can be mixed w/ other meds. Also you need different nets so you dont cross contaminate the tanks

take your filter out if it has charcoal in it. That takes the meds out and yes, stop water changes while you treat . Do you have the water heated ? Higher temps along w/ aquarium salt will take care of the ich and can be mixed w/ other meds. Also you need different nets so you dont cross contaminate the tanks
Carbon filter is already out. So you're suggesting to take the meds out?? Stop treating with the new stuff?

Yes, the water is heated. It already has the recommended amount of aquarium salt added to it as part of regular aquarium maintenance. I don't know, I've heard mixed reviews on the salt+heat thing. Some people say it works, it didn't for me when I last dealt with ich, but I can try. I don't know how to proceed, my tank is already 78-80 degrees. Raise it a little more I guess?

Okay, will get another net. So far I've treated this one with hydrogen peroxide (don't know it that works) let it set for a while and then rinse with lots of hot water.

No, Im not recommending you stop. I am not familiar w/ those meds. The salt and heat does cure ich but there is a dosing that is higher then what we normally use. I personally dont like salt in mine . Makes a mess IMO.

Not sure why you are dealing w/ich since you already have them heated. Was it from a new fish?
Yes, 100% certain. I bought six new guppies at Aquatic Warehouse, added them to my tank and 4 or 5 days later have fish dying left and right (including the ones I bought). What's strange though is that the ich didn't show itself until ~2.5 weeks after, and it's usually the first problem to show up.

Back
Top Bottom