I'm curious to see what you end up with. I also only have a small tank and while I'm definitely thinking about trying another betta I have considered trying other fish. Though if I don't get a betta it'll likely end up just being an apple snail tank, maybe some shrimp too...

Im not sure about small tanks as the smallest one i had was a 2 gal holding tank. The smallest actual tank was a 30 gal and the bighest was a 75 gal

Guppies are always fun, but eventually you end up with a lot of them.

Schooling fish like small tetra are interesting to watch.

Is your tank more tall than long?

I can always do just males, or just females, but I guess that'll mean I'll lose most of the mating behaviour. I do like schooling behaviour quite a bit. Don't know if my aquarium is big enough for me to be able to see such a thing (due to it not being able to house that many fish). Longer. Has a very secure lid as well, forgot to mention that

I can always do just males, or just females, but I guess that'll mean I'll lose most of the mating behaviour. I do like schooling behaviour quite a bit. Don't know if my aquarium is big enough for me to be able to see such a thing (due to it not being able to house that many fish). Longer. Has a very secure lid as well, forgot to mention that
It can depend on your water changes or if you have plants in your tank. I might do 6-8 tetra or guppies, but I've always pushed the stocking level suggestions just a bit here. The one inch per gallon suggestion.

Longer tanks can support a bit more than taller tanks. With stocking levels the biggest concern is the build up of waste nitrates, and the ability for there to be a good exchange of oxygen at the surface. So water changes or plants will help to remove nitates, and an air stone moves the water so it can take up more oxygen at the surface. It all depends on your maintenance.

Another option is doing all female betta. There are some pretty ones out there. I have kept multiple females together in the past without problems. You could even include a male which I have also done.

It can depend on your water changes or if you have plants in your tank. I might do 6-8 tetra or guppies, but I've always pushed the stocking level suggestions just a bit here. The one inch per gallon suggestion.

Longer tanks can support a bit more than taller tanks. With stocking levels the biggest concern is the build up of waste nitrates, and the ability for there to be a good exchange of oxygen at the surface. So water changes or plants will help to remove nitates, and an air stone moves the water so it can take up more oxygen at the surface. It all depends on your maintenance.

Another option is doing all female betta. There are some pretty ones out there. I have kept multiple females together in the past without problems. You could even include a male which I have also done.

Heavily planted aquarium, has been running for 3 and a half years. I have two filters in there, one that is not running but a host to a bunch of beneficial bacteria, and a sponge filter that is running and has an airstone, so plenty of oxygen exchange. While keeping a bunch of snails, some shrimp, and a male betta, I could easily go one month without needing to change the water, but I usually do water changes every other week. I honestly prefer less stocking (because I do like going longer without needing to change the water), but it's not a hill I'm willing to die on. A betta sorority in a 6 gallon is not something I'm comfortable with doing yet, I'm not a believer in "you can't do betta sororities", but I have not reached the level of expertise to be willing to try it

Back
Top Bottom