Five Tough Chicks and TWO Amazing Embryos!

Pics
Or you end up with two newly hatched finches to try and hand rear because their parents are useless and squashed the other two babies!!! This requires hourly feeds on top of everything else! I already have seven of this pairs offspring I've had to hand rear and I really thought they'd do fine this time around. I give up!
:barnie

Your babies are gorgeous!
that sounds like they should not be allowed to parent ever again

that sounds like they should not be allowed to parent ever again

Finches sometimes take awhile to get the hang of parenting but last time I ended up with babies with nipped off toes. I thought it was the mouse I'd caught in my aviary, but now my aviary is Fort Knox, yet one of the recent chicks again has missing toes. So yes, that was the last chance they were getting from me! On the plus side they do make gorgeous hand reared pets.

Or you end up with two newly hatched finches to try and hand rear because their parents are useless and squashed the other two babies!!! This requires hourly feeds on top of everything else! I already have seven of this pairs offspring I've had to hand rear and I really thought they'd do fine this time around. I give up!
:barnie

Your babies are gorgeous!
Wow...that would take a lot of care and commitment! :bow
I can't even imagine the work that goes into doing something like that!:thYou must be quite an expert at doing this. Do you visit the forum relating to caged birds?

I suppose just like chickens...some are meant to be parents...and some aren't?

Thank you for the lovely compliment. I have such a motley assortment of chickens...it really is like a box of chocolates when chicks show up sometime...lol.
I do love the tiny chicks though.:love

I love the tiny bantam chicks too! We've hatched a few chicken chicks, only because the lady I got the eggs off took back any boys. Wish we could do it more often. Though my finches seem to be keeping me busy enough! Yes, it's a lot of work (6-7 weeks of frequent feeds) but I adore our hand reared ones.

Your babies are a lot cuter than mine at the moment!

Last edited:
Introducing...
Mini Moo Shoo (named after the hen that was sitting on them that died) - Bantam Splash

Captain America - Bantam Blue

Can you tell I'm a mama to 3 boys? ;)
Photo Jul 09, 2 45 54 PM.jpg
Photo Jul 09, 6 01 34 PM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom