Five Tough Chicks and TWO Amazing Embryos!

I love the tiny bantam chicks too! We've hatched a few chicken chicks, only because the lady I got the eggs off took back any boys. Wish we could do it more often. Though my finches seem to be keeping me busy enough! Yes, it's a lot of work (6-7 weeks of frequent feeds) but I adore our hand reared ones.

Your babies are a lot cuter than mine at the moment!
Everything that starts small is cute. But then it grows up...lol! laughing.gif

Update: I checked the 60 hour chick's foot and legs the evening of the 8th. I decided to take the bandage off the foot. The toes are straight but the bandaged toe must've been turned so it sits like this. I trimmed the nail shorter than in this pic so it wouldn't interfere. I've given it a few days without the bandage on the foot to see if it straightened up at all...but it's stayed the same.
But the toe is still straight without crooking. :yesss:

20170708_204324.jpg

I also tightened the vet wrap on the chick so the distance isn't as wide. The chick is getting around really well. I plan on taping the toe tonight to change the tilt so it has a proper stance.
20170708_204329.jpg

Here's the four of them...lol. The 60 hour chick fits right in with the 12 hour chicks.
20170709_012257.jpg

So how's the little chick doing now? :pop

I brought home some lavender Orpington eggs from my farm that 2 broodies had been sitting on. They hatched 2 chicks on Saturday. On Sunday they were off the nest, because a black snake had gotten in my building. Chicks are fine. I did not see them on the nest Monday either, but i left the eggs anyway. So long story short, i have no idea how much or how little these eggs have been sat on since Saturday. But surprisingly, there are a few that still show movement. Soooo, i washed them (they were filthy) and popped 5 of them in the incubator this evening. :oops:

So how's the little chick doing now? :pop

I brought home some lavender Orpington eggs from my farm that 2 broodies had been sitting on. They hatched 2 chicks on Saturday. On Sunday they were off the nest, because a black snake had gotten in my building. Chicks are fine. I did not see them on the nest Monday either, but i left the eggs anyway. So long story short, i have no idea how much or how little these eggs have been sat on since Saturday. But surprisingly, there are a few that still show movement. Soooo, i washed them (they were filthy) and popped 5 of them in the incubator this evening. :oops:
Aha...I saw you posted this. I was away that day...and it's been kinda crazy ever since. :oops:

How are your lavender Orp. eggs doing?:he
That's fantastic there was movement!:yesss:

Update: Today is one month since the whole cleaning the coop, collecting and setting the cold eggs event happened. Time flies when your having fun...lol.:celebrate

The 60 hour chick is doing really well. In fact too well. The 60 hour chick and the other chicks keep jumping in with the ducks.
(Which is a story in itself involving hatching cold eggs too.)

I came home Wednesday night and thought the 60 hour chick had herniated something. Then I realized it was just the pink band that had came off it's leg.:rolleyes::lau

The 60 hour chick has a nice stance now...but the toe has curled slightly again. I intend to fix that tonight. I haven't decided but I may put the ducks and chicks out to the coop. The chicks are SO tiny...but they can definitely fly around. :eek:
It's probably time they get put out.

20170716_234636.jpg

#Party with the ducks #Caught in the act #Oh! You're home already?

The 60 hour cold chick is the one standing in the lid eating the ducks food look'n all innocent. (What? Are they home? Is SOMEONE behind me????)

Even the one duckling's giving the "cute eye." :rolleyes: gig.gif

Aha...I saw you posted this. I was away that day...and it's been kinda crazy ever since. :oops:

How are your lavender Orp. eggs doing?:he
That's fantastic there was movement!:yesss:

I know all about crazy dear!! :lau

3 of the 5 lavs quit the next day, but 2 are still going!! The final 2 were the least furthest along, so i guess that had something to do with it. They look to be about day 17-18 now.

Back
Top Bottom