Five Tough Chicks and TWO Amazing Embryos!

Pics
Update: I candled last night. The green large fowl egg hadn't changed and the air cell was maxed out so I carefully opened it. First thing I saw was a large foot/leg. The chick was breech and it died.

The rest of the eggs are still alive. I'm concerned about the large air cell on 2-3 of the OEGB eggs. It appears to me the air cell is large, but the chick isn't big enough. I don't usually have issues with oegb eggs with air cells. I added water to the reservoir and upped the humidity further. I'm wondering if it may be too little too late for these eggs.

The 60 hour eggs still appear to be on point. I think. I hope.
Who am I kidding...I don't really know. byc juggle.gif
Incubation....what a guessing game! :th:confused::barnie:celebrate:pop

*For my notes...I turned twice yesterday. :yesss:

Hi Im a little new at this whole egg hatching dealio.
I let my broody hatch one clutch. And I got the candling thing figured out a little.
The eggs Ive been hatching are a variety of colors.The lighter ones I can see the embryos clearly at day 10.The darker ones not so much.I know that soon ill be able to see a dark area in the darker eggs thats a chick.
At what day can I safely pick out the clears on my darker eggs?

Hi Im a little new at this whole egg hatching dealio.
I let my broody hatch one clutch. And I got the candling thing figured out a little.
The eggs Ive been hatching are a variety of colors.The lighter ones I can see the embryos clearly at day 10.The darker ones not so much.I know that soon ill be able to see a dark area in the darker eggs thats a chick.
At what day can I safely pick out the clears on my darker eggs?
I think the answer will depend on who you talk to. I find dark eggs hard to read/see and some are worse than others.

I tend to leave them in until I'm satisfied that they are for certain...dead. If I can see lots of light getting close to hatching I know it's died. If I can't tell I leave it in.
I haven't had an egg blow up...yet. :)

If the egg doesn't smell bad or ooze, I would use your own judgment on the egg.
If it IS oozing or smelling bad...toss the egg. That's what I go by.

I think the answer will depend on who you talk to. I find dark eggs hard to read/see and some are worse than others.

I tend to leave them in until I'm satisfied that they are for certain...dead. If I can see lots of light getting close to hatching I know it's died. If I can't tell I leave it in.
I haven't had an egg blow up...yet. :)

If the egg doesn't smell bad or ooze, I would use your own judgment on the egg.
If it IS oozing or smelling bad...toss the egg. That's what I go by.

x2!!

Only thing I would add to that is use fresh batteries in your flashlight! Even the best lights go dim, and fresh batteries make such a world of difference. Get the highest lumens possible, and even the darkest eggs can be candled well enough to know if they are at least developing or not.

Oooh...I have not. Doing it now....

No wait...they're all ready to hatch I think. I figured I should stop turning them.
I'm waiting for 2-3 to zip.

I just won't turn the guinea eggs in the bottom that are about a week.

I have good news 20 chicken eggs out of 21 defiantly have life.The one Im not sure about is dark and has a large dark area were it should be so maybe I have 100% live chicken eggs.on day 10. Air sacks seem ok.I also have 38 Quail eggs in the same incubator. I only held light to a few of them and but it looks the same. I guess Im going to buy a second cheaper Hova bator to use as a hatcher.
Any suggestions on this plan?

Back
Top Bottom