Flag at half staff for Whitney Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a definition that is on Wikipedia

Death by natural causes

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A death by natural causes, as recorded by coroners and on death certificates and associated documents, is one that is primarily attributed to natural agents: usually an illness or an internal malfunction of the body. For example, a person dying from complications from influenza (an infection) or a heart attack (an internal body malfunction) would be listed as having died of natural causes. Old age is not a scientifically recognized cause of death; there is always a more direct cause although it may be unknown in certain cases and could be one of a number of aging-associated diseases.
In contrast, death caused by active intervention is called unnatural death. The "unnatural" causes are usually given as accident (implying no unreasonable voluntary risk), misadventure (accident following a wilful and dangerous risk), suicide, or homicide.[1] In some settings, other categories may be added. For example, a prison may track the deaths of inmates due to acute intoxication separately.[2]

Last edited:
Interesting... you may be right, although technically we begin dying at birth as our cells die and replace them selves at a deficit rate and eventually as we get older our cells do not regenerate fast enough and we age, otherwise we would be immortal and never die. I suppose then nobody really dies of natural causes.

This is a definition that is on Wikipedia

Death by natural causes

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A death by natural causes, as recorded by coroners and on death certificates and associated documents, is one that is primarily attributed to natural agents: usually an illness or an internal malfunction of the body. For example, a person dying from complications from influenza (an infection) or a heart attack (an internal body malfunction) would be listed as having died of natural causes. Old age is not a scientifically recognized cause of death; there is always a more direct cause although it may be unknown in certain cases and could be one of a number of aging-associated diseases.
In contrast, death caused by active intervention is called unnatural death. The "unnatural" causes are usually given as accident (implying no unreasonable voluntary risk), misadventure (accident following a wilful and dangerous risk), suicide, or homicide.[1] In some settings, other categories may be added. For example, a prison may track the deaths of inmates due to acute intoxication separately.[2]

This is what I've gotten from this thread so far

-Whitney Houston commit suicide or overdosed doing drugs - although no cause of death has been announced
-We don't care about soldier's deaths because NJ flew the flag at half staff for a singer.
-Celebrity donations don't count because they are rich therefore their generosity is diminished and probably just for PR.
-Vague attempts to turn this into a right wing/left wing argument by Royd. shocking.
-Honoring a music legend promotes domestic violence and drug addiction.

We don't even know why she is dead. The random rambling section has really become a sensationalist lynch mob. She isn't even in the ground yet, maybe we should hold our judgments until the details come out. But that's probably asking for too much.

You read as much into my posts as some on this thread read into the flag flying or not flying at half mast.

As usual, some of the comments here are pretty distressing and seem a bit overboard. If you live in New Jersey and you are familiar with Newark and the Oranges, then I would be very suprised if you would question the Governor's descision to order the flags flown at half staff. You should know that the flags were flown at half staff for Sinatra (not exactly a Saint) and Clarence Clemons of E Street band fame and many others like them without any fuss or comments. Whitney Houston was a hero (albeit flawed) to many, many people who lived in Newark and the Oranges. Before her death you could see her name prominently displayed on schools, hospitals and other places where she generously gave time and money. To liken this decision as a slap in the face to the great men and women who have otherwise served this country is a very flawed and pathetic arguement.

As usual, some of the comments here are pretty distressing and seem a bit overboard. If you live in New Jersey and you are familiar with Newark and the Oranges, then I would be very suprised if you would question the Governor's descision to order the flags flown at half staff. You should know that the flags were flown at half staff for Sinatra (not exactly a Saint) and Clarence Clemons of E Street band fame and many others like them without any fuss or comments. Whitney Houston was a hero (albeit flawed) to many, many people who lived in Newark and the Oranges. Before her death you could see her name prominently displayed on schools, hospitals and other places where she generously gave time and money. To liken this decision as a slap in the face to the great men and women who have otherwise served this country is a very flawed and pathetic arguement.

I must be living under a rock, or in a cave. I never knew that about her, also didn't know about the other info. Thanks for the heads up. But then, I'm not from Jersey, not my fault if I was born on the other coast!

Ithink what has people upset over the whole deal is what the flag represents. It represents our country and the freedoms we enjoy and the memory of the prices paid for that freedom by those that sacrificed both dead and liviving to preserve those freedoms.

Whitney Houston did some great humanitarian work and maybe the Nobel Peace Award would have been a more fitting tribute.

Half mast flags should be reserved for honor to people that served the whole country. I think it cheapens the meaning when given to people with colorful pasts. Shall we give one to O.J. when he passes?

Ithink what has people upset over the whole deal is what the flag represents. It represents our country and the freedoms we enjoy and the memory of the prices paid for that freedom by those that sacrificed both dead and liviving to preserve those freedoms.

Whitney Houston did some great humanitarian work and maybe the Nobel Peace Award would have been a more fitting tribute.

Half mast flags should be reserved for honor to people that served the whole country. I think it cheapens the meaning when given to people with colorful pasts. Shall we give one to O.J. when he passes?
Yeah, the jolly roger flag

416973_335084103203457_100001056098117_1016659_739811725_n.jpg

Just my opinion as our son is in the Air Force....

Agreed! My son in in the Army....

Chickened, your facts are just plain wrong. Flying the flag at half staff IS NOT reserved just for people who have served the entire country. If that were the case then the right to order the flags to be flown at half staff would not also be granted to the individual governors of each state. Obviously, Governor Christie felt that Whitney Houston was significant enough for New Jersey to have the flags flown at half staff for her. And, yes, if you want to compare a murderer and a thief to someone like Whitney Houston, then I think your reasoning is as sound as can be and you should not get any arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom