FLEAS ON 4-WEEK OLD CHICKS!

sewingkitty1170

Chirping
May 4, 2021
HELP!!! Yesterday I saw tiny black fleas running around on one of my 4-week old chicks. :barnie

How do I treat for fleas safely on my chicks??? A couple have just started "dust-bathing" behavior in the bedding. I know they got them from my cats.

I know to vacuum & clean out their coop with poultry dust, change the bedding, treat for fleas in my carpets, but I don't know if flea medication is safe for chicks. :jumpy

Permethrin is the best treatment I know of, HOWEVER, it is highly toxic to cats. Since you have cats, I'd make sure whatever you use doesn't have permethrin. It's the only thing I've used, so hopefully someone will chime in with another solution.

Yeah, I know the permethrin is toxic to cats. I wonder if I can use a little DE in a sand dust bath for them. You would think there would be more information out there for tick/lice infestations on chicks, but surprisingly there isn't! And flea/tick meds for cats are toxic to chickens.:rant

Yeah, I know the permethrin is toxic to cats. I wonder if I can use a little DE in a sand dust bath for them. You would think there would be more information out there for tick/lice infestations on chicks, but surprisingly there isn't! And flea/tick meds for cats are toxic to chickens.:rant
No, on the DE it is to hard on their lungs- to fine of dust

Back
Top Bottom