Flemish Giant babies are here!!

abenardini

Songster
7 Years
For the longest time, we were afraid we might have sterile buns. NOT the case! Velvet delivered her very first kittens this morning. Pinto isn't super happy not getting cuddle time with his woman, but they can see, smell, partially groom each other through the bars of the adjacent pen.

Ten babies in all, so I'm doubtful that all will make it. We're just hoping some do. They appear to be healthy and happy.
Bunnies.jpg

Proud parent pic from the other day. They're now living next to each other. It's too bad the does can get pregnant just after birth, otherwise, we'd keep them together as they are so well bonded.

Parent Bunnies.jpg

Update on the babies - sad news first - we are down to 6 kits, which isn't uncommon for large litters like Velvet had, especially being a first-time mom. The 4 kits passed away rather quickly over the first 72 hours. Problem is with rabbits is there is no 100% safe replacement milk and the best you can do is try to mix up something that comes close, but not nutritionally sound. So many times, you will actually end up killing the kit from aspiration, overfeeding, or just the sheer mismatch of nutrients that are only found in rabbit milk. Sometimes, mother nature does know best, sadly.

The remaining kits appear healthy, growing, and doing well. There is a small/runty baby that is growing but a bit slower than the others.

They look more like rabbits than the original picture, and appear to be sandy/fawn like the parents.

Day 7 babies:
image0 (21).jpeg

Have you tried this for replacement milk? I had good success with wild rabbits. View attachment 3278099
Unfortunately, there isn't a great replacement for domestic rabbit milk. They only feed once (max twice a day). You run the major risk of aspiration, bloat, and malnutrition. Often when rabbit owners try to hand rear them, they end up killing them anyway. They aren't starving (no visible bones,) and have made it this far, so I'm going to let mamma to continue to do what she's doing.

There is one company in the UK that has copied domestic rabbit milk but sadly it's not available to the US. :(

Babies eyes are starting to open - day 11 cuteness!!!!

Attachments

• image0 (22).jpeg
    image0 (22).jpeg
    735.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image6 (4).jpeg
    image6 (4).jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image5 (5).jpeg
    image5 (5).jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 2
  • image4 (5).jpeg
    image4 (5).jpeg
    517.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image3 (9).jpeg
    image3 (9).jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image2 (10).jpeg
    image2 (10).jpeg
    699.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image1 (14).jpeg
    image1 (14).jpeg
    727.1 KB · Views: 2
How large are the parents? I had been hearing that Flemish giants don't get as large now as they used to.

Back
Top Bottom