Flexible PVC & Bird Netting As Roofing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jgaepi, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jgaepi

jgaepi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    davis, ca
    I am wondering what experience people have had using flexible pvc and bird netting as roofing. I assume it is effective to keep the chickens in, what about keeping other things out? People tell me the PVC won't last very long. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is our bantam coop using PVC foamcore pipe and welded wire for the top. Hasn't been in use a year yet. Most is covered by a silver tarp.

[​IMG]

3. farmer9989

farmer9989 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    alba texas
    You can paint pvc and make it last a lot longer.

4. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Quote:I like that. I'm wanting to try PVC and a tarp (instead of the wire)...

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I know a guy who made his out of bamboo. Naturally long-lasting and strong as ox bones.

6. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:Does pvc break down in sunlight???? I didn't know that?

7. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    I have been lucky enough to be re-building peoples decks here in MA, and I use the almost always perfectly fine deck boards as my roof... But I must admit the pvc with wire looks really really nice. Only difference is my run can take a direct hit from a meteor and be OK.. [​IMG]

8. jgaepi

jgaepi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    davis, ca
    I guess so. NorCal can get hot. But then if it last 2-3 years and it costs $1.80 per 10ft stick it might be worth it. Cheap investment.

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I've been told that PVC comes in a UV resistant variety as well, but I agree, it's cheap and will last plenty long enough as is. The PVC hoop runs are a really economical way to make a large run for our chickens.

10. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    I love it [​IMG] I love an open top. I have a few with tin roofs but I prefer an open top run our property is covered in oaks so no problem with sun here. Thats a great idea [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by