Flip?

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
I have a cornish who I think is almost dead. When it breathes, it is making a wheezing sound, not moving. Is this a sign of "flip" or possibly something else?

Greyfeld, this is probably another one for you. I tell you what, not to take away anything from others, but you seem to be a meat bird encyclopedia.

Thanks again.

Yes, Cornish X that were 4 weeks yesterday. Yesterday I opened my first bag of unmedicated feed. Eyes are closed like it wants to sleep.

Last edited:
I worked in big broiler barns as a teenager. These would have crops of thousands of broilers in them. When one "flipped" it meant it died. The three largest culprits:

injury rendering them unable to feed and water themselves, consequently get trampled as they weakend and die

coccidiossis (even medicated birds die from it)

heart attack, stroke (but this is sudden death)

Typically, you'd say a bird who looked obviously sick was gonna "flip". Some producers would try to remove them to cull, others just let the rest of the birds eat the carcass. The outfit I worked at tended towards the later. :\\

It was dead this morning. It had moved under the heat lamp. I was very excited after I decided to try and raise these birds, but now I'm not so sure about them. It is very inviting to raise something that will give you so much meat in such a short time. Now that Ive gotten into it, my feelings are starting to change. They smell horrible, they are as ugly as sin, and there is a bit of stress that comes from fear of losing them to uncertain death. As of right now, after losing two, my price per chick shipped is $1.30 each. If more of them die, and my PPC goes up, I may consider trying Colored Rangers or some other type of meat bird.

I can see now why I'd read people here saying this would be their first and last batch of these genetically manipulated birds. I realize not everyone has this philosophy, but it has become a reality for myself.

For many, I'm sure it is worth it. I think it is something you need to expirience, and then decide. I don't want to discourage others from raising them, I'm sure for many people it is completely worth it. It's just a matter of personal preference. This goes for any type of food that people are supplying for themselves. I have a huge garden, which gives my family an abundance of food every summer, but some people think it's too much work and responsibility and choose to buy thier food. For me, it's worth every penny I spend and every hour I spend working. I enjoy fresh food and working in the garden, and I'd think many have the same feelings about Cornish X's. I'm going to wait and see how it turns out before I reach a final desicion.

Back
Top Bottom