Flock/Life Journey's 2019

I'm back lol.
Hi, I'm Ellie. I live in the middle of New England and I've owned chooks for over ten years. My flock has currently 12 hens- two are nine-years-old, one is five-years-old, three are 3-years-old and six are 10 months old pullets. I raise them for eggs and with the added benefit of a little "pet". I also have a hive of bees and a project horse. I have a flock page as well that is currently about my journey to roof the coop's run- it's happening slowly but surely.

Another layer! This time with olive eggs.
Photo Editor-20190312_183701.jpg

I love the fluffy cheeks, too! I picked out the EE with THEE fluffiest cheeks...so fluffy, she reminded me of a professor or mad scientist because...well, I'm not really sure why. :lol: Your EE chick is so cute and pretty! Definitely share photos of her as an adult, Lord be willing. :)
Here's an updated picture of mine, who I named Candy.
img_1621-900x675-jpg.1690305

I too love fluffy cheeks! This is my girl with the fullest beard.
Photo Editor-20190228_130050.jpg

bantamsrmyfav, how nice of your grandma to give you $$$ for more chicks.
. I thought so too lol, when I lived with her I wouldn’t tell her I would be getting chicks because she wasn’t crazy about me asking her to look after them when I visited my husband (we lived in 2 different countries from 2011-2015 but kept in touch and got married in the middle of it). But now that she and my mom are their main caretakers she wanted me to buy her some. I get to visit them once a year so I sort of feel like they are mine too.

Good morning :frow

The wheezing pullet seems to be doing better, a lot less wheezing and still her normal pullet self. Glad she's doing well, I'm not in the mood to deal with a viral respiratory illness in the flock with nine-year-old chickens and pullets.
. Glad she is well too and that’s great that you’ve kept your chickens alive that long. My grandma and moms oldest hen is 8 I think. The other 2 are 9 months and then there are 5 chicks that are 2 weeks old.

That is so sweet of your Grandma :love
Ohhh just beautiful!
They are beautiful chicks! Especially the Wyandotte. I think it is the splash variety of the Blue Laced Red. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Looks delicious! By the way, the first time I ever heard of massaman thai curry was when you posted about it. Then I see the spice on my mom’s counter. Either it is a new craze food or that is an interesting coincidence. On my trip to Cali there were other Australian foods. At the wedding I went to the seafood was Australian and my mom had grapes that looked like fingers. I can’t remember if I mentioned this in a previous post or not.

I have to say Brahmachicken240 I really like the new batch of stones better. Also your place is fantastic. Love seeing pictures. Very inspiring!:drool
. I agree, he has a lovely place. Reminds me of Lord of the Rings which was filmed mostly in New Zealand. The grass really does look greener over there!

This will be my 1,001 message! I didn't realize I had reached 1,000 until this morning when I checked my alerts.

I got my second egg from one of my standard girls!

She tried to fit her big butt into the Bantams nest boxes first. It was a tight squeeze! :gig I picked her up and set her in the standard girls fridge-nest and she started getting ready to lay.

View attachment 1698192
She had to stand up to get it out!
View attachment 1698194

View attachment 1698197
Her egg next to a bantam egg.
View attachment 1698198

In sadder news, one of my ducks is seemingly egg bound. :hit Another warm bath is in her future. I might have to break out the gloves and lube if she doesn't lay soon.
. That egg almost looks red! It’s similar in colour to the mountains in Sedona, AZ.

Very nice!

It is very sad that my Great Great Grand father had to leave Ireland during the Potato famine!
My most recent Irish ancestors came over to the US in the late 1700s, missing the famine by about half a century. My husband’s most recent Irish ancestors immigrated to New Brunswick, Canada from Ballymena, Ireland in 1928. I have yet to figure out why.

Okay yall... I need some advice.. what do yall think if I return that giant EE chick and get a different one? “He” is SO much bigger than the others.. and “he” attacks the tiny Speckled Sussex fairly often... plus when “he” is outside “he” tries to fly and runs around crazy! Also, when I go to catch “him” it runs for it’s life and tries to peck me! I have never had a chick act this way.. last year the 8 I had were three different ages.. 3 weeks, 1 week, and 1 day olds... and never had an issue with attacking or bullying.. these appear to be the same age by feather development.. but he’s HUGE! And the tiny little SS :(... so I separated the CM and EE from the LB and SS...

Also, I turned off their light for awhile... the room was really hot.. and they are just sleeping their little heads off... I think they like to be able to actually sleep..... I’ll be turning it back on in a bit.

Please let me know what yall think... maybe I’m coo coo:confused:
Tough call, on the one hand why should you put up with a big meanie. On the other hand I would feel bad returning it even if it’s mean, then again I’m a Taurus and I read that we have hoarding tendencies so if you aren’t one and can bring yourself to return the chick it may be best, especially if you feel that the pecking is beyond normal pecking order stuff.

Well I should probably go to bed soon. DS woke me up at the crack of dawn wanting to play.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom