Flock/Life Journey's 2019

Good Morning/Evening Everyone,
How are you? Your Family and Your flocks?
Im stuck at work today. Miss all you and our lovely chicken chats :love
Hey, everybody!
My family and I are pretty good, for the most part.
And it was great...I normally work every weekend, but yesterday (Sunday) I was off. And it was a beautiful day, and I let my chickens free range all day yesterday (not the chicks). :D
My flock is doing pretty well. Except maybe Snowball. Andee, my other lovely adult silkie who came home with Snowball when we got her, 'flew the coop' recently. It was very unexpected, and I don't know why she died like that. :(
Andee always was the bolder one, and Snowball was more shy and standoffish. Well, Snowball has really come to love us and rely on us with Andee gone, so I now really like my lil' sweetie.
But today she was free ranging this morning, and one of our dogs, Shorty, got a hold of her and tried to kill her. :( When I heard a small squeak come from outside, I remembered my chickens, and looked out the window and saw Snowball pinned down with Shorty on top of her, ripping out her furry feathers. I hurriedly put my shoes on and ran outside and slapped Shorty really hard on the rump, then grabbed the cable (we don't let our dogs run free in our yard) connected to her collar, and pulled her away from the chicken. To my amazement (and praise God!), Snowball, who I expected to lie still on the ground dead, or dying at least, jumped up and ran off.
We've had Shorty since birth and she's spoiled rotten and nearing ten-years old, but this was the 'last straw'; my mom said she can't be trusted anymore, so we're finally going to put her to sleep. It was so hard on my mom, so she couldn't make the appointment, but had my dad do it. Shorty--and this happened early this afternoon--is gone now. Snowball is still alive, amazingly enough (maybe it looked worse than it hopefully really was), and is in the house in a large tote with clean pine shavings, water, and her All Flock crumbles. She's still eating and drinking a bit, and even is standing a little, too. And I've seen no blood on her. So, so far so good; and she's getting plenty of rest. I just hope she doesn't have serious and secret internal injuries. If no organs were damaged badly (if at all), or anything, then I'm expecting her to live... :hmm

Some pictures from today.
Photo Editor-20190312_121920.jpg

Photo Editor-20190312_121942.jpg

Photo Editor-20190312_121954.jpg

This is the girl who layed yesterday.
Photo Editor-20190312_122006.jpg

Photo Editor-20190312_122103.jpg

Photo Editor-20190312_122110.jpg

Photo Editor-20190312_122122.jpg

Photo Editor-20190312_122212.jpg

Gimpy!
Photo Editor-20190312_122230.jpg

Photo Editor-20190312_122307.jpg

Photo Editor-20190312_122330.jpg

Hey, everybody!
My family and I are pretty good, for the most part.
And it was great...I normally work every weekend, but yesterday (Sunday) I was off. And it was a beautiful day, and I let my chickens free range all day yesterday (not the chicks). :D
My flock is doing pretty well. Except maybe Snowball. Andee, my other lovely adult silkie who came home with Snowball when we got her, 'flew the coop' recently. It was very unexpected, and I don't know why she died like that. :(
Andee always was the bolder one, and Snowball was more shy and standoffish. Well, Snowball has really come to love us and rely on us with Andee gone, so I now really like my lil' sweetie.
But today she was free ranging this morning, and one of our dogs, Shorty, got a hold of her and tried to kill her. :( When I heard a small squeak come from outside, I remembered my chickens, and looked out the window and saw Snowball pinned down with Shorty on top of her, ripping out her furry feathers. I hurriedly put my shoes on and ran outside and slapped Shorty really hard on the rump, then grabbed the cable (we don't let our dogs run free in our yard) connected to her collar, and pulled her away from the chicken. To my amazement (and praise God!), Snowball, who I expected to lie still on the ground dead, or dying at least, jumped up and ran off.
We've had Shorty since birth and she's spoiled rotten and nearing ten-years old, but this was the 'last straw'; my mom said she can't be trusted anymore, so we're finally going to put her to sleep. It was so hard on my mom, so she couldn't make the appointment, but had my dad do it. Shorty--and this happened early this afternoon--is gone now. Snowball is still alive, amazingly enough (maybe it looked worse than it hopefully really was), and is in the house in a large tote with clean pine shavings, water, and her All Flock crumbles. She's still eating and drinking a bit, and even is standing a little, too. And I've seen no blood on her. So, so far so good; and she's getting plenty of rest. I just hope she doesn't have serious and secret internal injuries. If no organs were damaged badly (if at all), or anything, then I'm expecting her to live... :hmm
. Sorry about Shorty but glad Snowball is ok.

It's been said that fayoumi have high resistance to Marek's Disease. Some breeders have been buying them to breed to their present stock - hoping for better survival odds.
That’s interesting. I think I read that silkies are Mareks resistant too.

FOUND her !!!!!
She was sitting at the side of the road.. poor girl is stunnned and she’s missing a few feathers...
View attachment 1699029 View attachment 1699028 View attachment 1699027
Glad you found her and that she recovers well. That pearl pattern is beautiful.

I was watching my cousins and little sister today. They had fun playing with DS and making scrambled eggs. Yesterday we went to the lake. I showed them a YouTube video of button quail and one of them loved how they are like chicken chicks. My dad didn’t think they were quail and first. I think he’s used to seeing the coturnix type. I did see some native Gambel’s quail on the way to the lake. Wish I could’ve taken a pic.

Guys, look what I bought! $20 for four decals. That includes the shipping.
:celebrate
View attachment 1723579

Brownie points for anyone that can name what the non-reptile one is. :bow That one is custom, she's never made one before so she had to draw one up. It's going on my car. They're being shipped out tomorrow so they should be here within 4 business days.
lol I have a kid who is a Dr Who freak so I know the Tardis when I see it! :D

Things that happened while camping:
One guy we know ran into a tree and destroyed his bullbar. So we made a sign that said Joel's Tree - RIP Bullbar.

Another guy that we don't know was going up a steep hill and got stuck so another guy tried to snatch him up and he rolled his Toyota Landcruiser on its side.
Kylie and I were at Camp listening to it all on the handheld.

Hi there. This looks like a nice thread. I’m six months late! 2019 has been a good year so far, except the last week was absolutely brutal. I usually hang out in the emergencies thread. It’s an addiction! However, I thought it would be nice to venture into other threads and get to know the community a little better.

Quick intro:
My name is Michelle. I love my chickens as pets. I have a mixed breed, mixed age flock, all female from three years down to almost five weeks.

I'm back lol.
Hi, I'm Ellie. I live in the middle of New England and I've owned chooks for over ten years. My flock has currently 12 hens- two are nine-years-old, one is five-years-old, three are 3-years-old and six are 10 months old pullets. I raise them for eggs and with the added benefit of a little "pet". I also have a hive of bees and a project horse. I have a flock page as well that is currently about my journey to roof the coop's run- it's happening slowly but surely.

Hi Ellie, I will check out your flock journey too. Are your older birds still laying? Can't wait to see more of them. :pop

Back
Top Bottom