Flood Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ang, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I got a call from an acquaintance this morning. They are now displaced due to the flooding that is occurring since 2 levees broke early this morning. She has 40 chickens that she needs to find homes for. They are moved but are not in a secure coop. Rather than loose them to predators and expend the energy to worry about them at this stressful time she is rehoming them. I told her I could take up to 10 hens but I really didn't need any roosters. So sometime tomorrow we will be taking these girls in. She even asked what breeds we wanted. I told her not to worry about breeds. I feel terrible gaining chickens in this way. She won't take any money for them. I am going to offer free eggs whenever they need them. I am also going to tell her that she can come get them back whenever they have a safe place for them.

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I wish I was closer to help. I hope you can take all 40 until she can get back on her feet and then she could have them back again.

3. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor animals. I saw a news report today that showed three pigs standing on the roof of a barn with the water almost up to their feet. Tragedy. [​IMG]

4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    How far from Muscatine, Iowa is she? I could maybe help if we could find a bridge open to cross the river. Our town flooded but we are high and dry outside of town. I feel awful for all the people losing their homes, animals, ect. to the floods.

I would give them back to her after the floods if she wanted them back. If not they would have a great home with us.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    That's so sad. The whole situation is sad. It is, however, encouraging to see people muster together and help.

6. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Farmgirlie,

We are 2 hours from Muscatine. A bit far for chickens with the gas prices. I will be able to talk to her tonight at the ballgame to see how many she still needs homes for. I don't have room for all 40 unless we build another pen. That can't happen since we are still up to our elbows in flood work here. There are a lot of us chicken people here so I am sure they will all find homes.

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:That's good news that you can find them homes. It takes my father 2 hours for a 25 min. drive to work in Muscatine with all the road closures so 2 hours away would be way to far away for me to drive right now. I sure do hope you find them homes and don't suffer too much damages from the flood. Please stay safe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by