Songster
May 22, 2015
england
I have a new shed for my chickens
what should i paint the floor with
as i live in England I can't get
blackjack 57 or should I use linoleum
cheers Phil

After reading i have heard mixed reports about using linoleum like red mite & moisture under lino is this true?
cheers Phil

Last edited:
Hi Phil

I just have a sheet of sterling board down as a floor in my repurposed shed. I scatter a sprinkling of sawdust down and have a poop board under the roosts, so I just scoop up the odd poop that is on the shed floor and empty the poop board daily... I use a wallpaper scraper and a cat litter scoop which the sawdust falls through. I find that most sheds will have a bit of a leak in the roof somewhere, sooner or later.... usually it runs down a wall in a corner somewhere and you will get a damp patch there, so lino on top would probably cause it to rot.

Regards

Barbara

After reading i have heard mixed reports about using linoleum like red mite & moisture under lino is this true?
cheers Phil

yeah you are right, your questions got me thinking about the degrading of the tiles and allowing moisture underneath. I love it when people teach me things about stuff I thought I knew about
duc.gif

after reading online I have noticed many people use a paint or a rubberized coating paint for roofing.. many suggest a product called "Blackjack #57", it is a roofing waterproofing material and it looks like it does the job very well. it is suggested to stir with a motor mixer and use on high for a few minutes to allow proper mixing and to make sure the wood is not damp to allow for proper curing. it takes a few days to fully cure, some say 2 others say 5... I guess it depends on location and climate.

but looks like you can't get that... so I guess you may need to use another form of it.

Last edited:
I used treated plywood and deck stain on top. I've had now for 3 years and the floor is like brand new. I lost some paint off of it though so I'll have to stain it again pretty soon. I keep the floor and poop board cleaned every morning. It takes only about 5-10 minutes to scrape it up. I have 8 hens and 1 roo. plus I have a poop board under my roosts which makes it real easy to keep clean. I have a metal roof on my coop so there will be no water leaks.

cheers Phil
You want, and are probably looking at, vinyl.... not linoleum.

I use a heavy duty, foam backed vinyl (passed the tight bend over a corner test without cracking),
a large single sheet so no cracks/joints for leakage to seep thru,
cut corners out and bent up 3 to 8" up walls,
only tacked it in a few places(at the 8"),
liberally put DE down underneath the edges.
I actually put 1/2" hardware cloth on the entire floor under vinyl.
It's been 3 years and it's still in great shape

You want, and are probably looking at, vinyl.... not linoleum.

I use a heavy duty, foam backed vinyl (passed the tight bend over a corner test without cracking),
a large single sheet so no cracks/joints for leakage to seep thru,
cut corners out and bent up 3 to 8" up walls,
only tacked it in a few places(at the 8"),
liberally put DE down underneath the edges.
I actually put 1/2" hardware cloth on the entire floor under vinyl.
It's been 3 years and it's still in great shape
that's actually the floors in my house, so yeah... four years and they are still in great shape as well and are super durable.

Back
Top Bottom