Flower gardeners - & another ? for ya, post#12

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Jun 9, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, that's it.

2. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Is this something that hummingbirds would go to for nectar? The reason I ask - we have two hummingbird feeders hanging from the front porch and we added these periwinkles on either side of them.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    My understanding is that the color RED is your biggest draw for hummingbirds- go get a tropical hibiscus in a pot from the garden center at Home Depot or Wally World (can't believe I'm advocating that place!) so you have a tube-shaped red flower calling them- they'll learn your location because of the feeders anc come back year after year!

4. purr

purr Songster

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    crepe myrtle is a ground cover with purple flowers is this what you thinking of.I will take a pic tomorrow when its not so dark on that side of the house.

5. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
  6. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    No, they aren't tubular flowers, so they aren't a great nectar source. But, butterflies like them! [​IMG] I agree with any type of hibiscus, they love them! I have hardy hibiscus growing and when they are in bloom, they are covered in hummers.

Shelly

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:We have the hibiscus bush from H-E-double hockey stixs already growing in the yard. It's way taller than my DH and he's 6'4" tall. It's usually full of hummingbird nests in the spring, too. The hummers come to the feeders just fine. I was just wondering if the periwinkle would be an added draw.
    Thanks again y'all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: