Fluid filled sac around wattles

Janathia

In the Brooder
May 29, 2016
Hello!

I think something may have bit or stung my 11 week old Light Brahma boy, Inkspot. He was fine yesterday morning, but around 1pm yesterday when I went out to check on everyone he seemed to be acting strange. Almost like he couldn't see. He'd walk oddly a few paces then stop and stare, walk around a few more stop and stare. He did this for about five minutes. He couldn't seem to find a comfortable spot to lay down like his flockmates were doing. I tried to catch him but he was having none of that and I didn't want to stress him further.

When I went out around 6 I noticed his wattles were extremely swollen and he still wasn't acting normal. I could tell he was uncomfortable. I had to wait till he went in to roost before I was able to catch him. Brought him inside to get a closer look. When I was examining his wattles some liquid came out of his mouth - it looked yellowish, but I couldn't tell for sure (and it was a very small amount). He had just drank some water before going in to roost so I'm thinking it was just that coming back up from the stress of being caught. He has not "leaked" any fluid from his mouth since then.

I decided to take a sewing needle (cleaned as best I could under hot water and rubbing alcohol) and see if I could relieve some of the fluid buildup around his wattles. I managed to get a drop out, but it was stressing him even though he was being a patient boy (more he wasn't feeling great). It was reddish tinged clear fluid that I managed to get out, but the wattles are still super swollen and fluid filled. I sprayed some Vetericyn on it then put him in a large crate with some water. I kept him inside away from the oppressive heat and bugs, and so I could watch him overnight and today.

Not sure what else to do for him right now and no idea what happened. I can't find an open wound or obvious bite marks (to my untrained eye).

It does not appear to be sour crop as I know it. And the fluid is not located anywhere near his crop. I did look in his mouth/down his throat and did not notice anything lodged/stuck there.

This morning his wattles are still swollen, but he was interested in and did eat some of his crumble this morning. Don't know if he drank any water yet as he had water with him all night. He's been fairly quiet and not moving around much (unless I open the crate door) so all in all I'd say he's stable at this point. If the swelling has not gone down any by tomorrow, I'll call my vet's office and see if they do anything with chickens. I know my vet probably does, but she's out of town, and not sure if any of the other vets at the practice do. He does seem to be breathing okay this morning. I don't hear any rasping and there is no coughing/sneezing/gagging (never saw any of that). Even though he is quiet he does seem a bit more alert this morning so I'm hoping his body is fighting whatever happened.

Has anyone run into something like this? Think it's a spider bite? Wasp sting? Snake bite? Something else?

I'll try to get a picture of him today, but for now here is a picture of him from last night:

19656979_10155543526555799_5147002705869510413_n.jpg

They do free-range during the day, so it's very possible. I can't see any obvious bite wound which makes me think spider or a stinging insect (wasp, hornet, etc).

I assume it's okay to dissolve the 1/2 tablet in some water and give to him with an eyedropper? Otherwise, I have no idea how to pill a chicken. hehe

I stopped at the store on the way home from work, but all they had was Children's Allergy Benadryl liquid. Is this okay to give him?

Took these pictures about 20 mins ago:

Inkspot front.jpg
inkspot side.jpg

Back
Top Bottom