Fly control in the chicken coop

I'm going to try fly predator around the perimeter. I also have horses, so ordering a bit more is not that bad

OI've never had flies in my coop or run. I do scoop clean 2-5 times a day. I also use DE, but this year the DE will only be used in the run since its so dusty and there's much more ventilation.

Right now my run is soaked from the storms, which makes cleaning harder, so I get what I can and will go back and do a thorough cleaning when it's fully dry. They only poop in the coop at night, that gets cleaned first thing in the morning.

The compost pile is another issue. We compost in the woods and it's FULL of flies!

I clean the roosts and coop once a week with oxine.

Last edited:
I am not a super pro-DE person (diatomaceous earth), but I will admit that a small amount stirred into the bedding in the coop dries the poop fast and I've never had flies. It is a good desiccant.

about fly's, i was looking into this kind of bugs that you can purchase and sprinkle their eggs or what ever it is ..? on a fly breeding area and that will destroy the fly larva..? i think that's how it works..? i guess its also all natural ..? but i had just been reading about this stuff in winter & now i wanted buy some before fly season starts up , but now i find i have lost that info , so i wounder if any one on BYC knows what this stuff is called...?? or were to buy it..? because here in AZ its spring & around 70 to 80 degrees every day & summer is not far behind ,so i wanted to get a jump on killing off any possible fly's, . thanks to any one who can help with the name of this product or any info to offer ..! : )

Try mixing 2 raw egg yolks and a tablespoon of black pepper. Set it out in something shallow like a jar lid where the chickens can't get to it. Worked for us in the rabbit shed we had.

coloradowildflower , i will try that thanks , we never had fly's before , but last year when some feed got wet, we tossed it on the compost pile & the fly's came from that im sure, i will report back about which fly remedy worked the best , if the flys ever return..? but fingers crossed that will never happen again , but thanks for your help & you are right the DE is a good always at the ready constant harmless bug killer ..!! thank you for your help take care : )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom