foamy eye and cold symptoms in flock

chickenfarmergal

Songster
10 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Columbia, SC
I don't know any "chicken" vets and the only vet that remotely seemed to know about such things told me to order something called Doxy-Tyl and do 2 teaspoons of powder to 1 gallon water daily. However when I asked him about egg withdrawal time he said he had no idea only that he knew you couldn't eat the chickens if you treated them with it. Can anyone help me out? How long do I need to toss eggs?

I don't know any "chicken" vets and the only vet that remotely seemed to know about such things told me to order something called Doxy-Tyl and do 2 teaspoons of powder to 1 gallon water daily. However when I asked him about egg withdrawal time he said he had no idea only that he knew you couldn't eat the chickens if you treated them with it. Can anyone help me out? How long do I need to toss eggs?
Well, when I treated my chicken with antibiotics, my vet told me that you are not supposed to eat the eggs for two months.

Hi There.
I just noticed this, not sure if i can help. Only joined few weeks ago. I just
nursed 2 of my girls, for 2 weeks with the similar symptoms. If you have the time
let me know exactly, their symptoms, were they sneezing/ coughing. Lose their appetite
or could not manage to drink on their own. Was both eyes closed, or just one. Truth is i
thought i was going to lose them. It was 2 weeks and first few nights i stayed up with them. Brought them in the house, in separate cages away from the rest. Then came on BYC read up loads, and went from there. We use to own a farm, so was used to chickens.
But if they were ever ill it was they had been egg bound or bullied. So this was not i
was use too. Once i hear more from you, i will have more idea, if yours are a similiar
illness to mine. Oh and happy to say, they are now back in with their sisters.

It sounds like the drug was a combo of Tylan and doxycyline. Tylan oral egg withdrawal is 1 day. Doxy is not approved for poultry egg layers, but it can persist in the egg yolk for up to a month.

Back
Top Bottom