Foamy Eye Problem with Picture

Chickwhit

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Sequim, WA

This is my 3 year old Ameracuana. Went out to clean and check birds today and both of her eyes were foamy or bubbly. Her breathing appears fine and I didn't see any drainage from her nostrils. My other 3 Red Star hens do not have this. Does anybody have any idea what this could be?

No, but I would separate her for a day or two until you know what it might be, just in case it is something she will pass on to the others. Look up foamy eyes in the search. I know I have heard it many times on this site. Probably a sinus infection or a cold of some kind. Both can be passed on.

etammy; Thank you for your suggestion on searching foamy eye. I searched it and was able to find the information that I needed.

I would get some Tylan 50 plus syringes at the feedstore and start her on it. You have to give a 1/2 ml. shot into her breast muscle for 3 days, and alternate sides each day. It is pretty cheap ($12) and works better than oral. She probably has a respiratory disease, separate her if you can, and I would watch the others for a few days in case they come down with it.

One of my hens had this. The tylan cleared it up in 3 days. It cost me 14 for the mess and .99 for 3 needles

One of my hens had this. The tylan cleared it up in 3 days. It cost me 14 for the mess and .99 for 3 needles
Did you have to seperate her from the others while treating? If not, did anyone else come down w/ it also? I have a pullet w/ this, just noticed it this morning while we let them out to free range. Everyone else seems fine and she acts fine aside from the foamy eyes. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom