1. 5th lake chick

5th lake chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    Well thought I was going to make it thru this long cold winter with out any sick hens. But tonight one of my hens has a bubbles in her eye. any ideas what this is?

2. buzsaw58

buzsaw58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Montgomery Tx.
    I had the same problem on two different ocasions. It's possibly respatory. Is she coughing or sneezing to? I use Vet-RX, you can find it at your local feed store. I use it full strength via an eye dropper in the mouth, about 2 to 3 drops. I also dilute it in a spray bottle and must it in their face. You can also put a drop on their head and rub it in. You should isolate her from any others and treat her until she starts looking better. Hop that. Helps.

3. buzsaw58

May 18, 2012
    Montgomery Tx.
    You should also google respatory issues in poultry. It will give several conditions.

4. 5th lake chick

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    yes sneezing,one other bird has been sneezing for awhile now, but has seemed fine. I thought it was just from being cooped up due to the cold weather- its been hardly above zero since November. thanks

5. buzsaw58

May 18, 2012
    Montgomery Tx.
    Well I live in Texas and we've had some cold temps for this area. I've been dealing with respatory issues all winter. I have 32 girls and if it's not one it's all. Just been using what I told you and it seem to keep it under control. The Vet- RX is basically essential oils all natural stuff. We try raise our birds as organically as possible. Next year I'm gonna close my coop up just a little tighter, to keep it warmer for them. This was our first winter, so live and learn, I suppose.

6. 5th lake chick

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    thanks so much, I'll get some tomorrow. Hopefully Spring will be here soon. We have 3 feet of snow on the ground!!!!!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Bubbles or foam in the eye may be one of the early signs of a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum or others. Look for swelling around the eye or face, nasal drainage, sneeze, gasping, gurgles, or wheezes. The more symptoms you notice and describe, the easier it is to narrow it down. Many of these diseases canbe chronic and make carriers of the flock.

8. 5th lake chick

Jul 19, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    From what I've read you should not close your coop too much , they need good ventilation but no drafts. Being in Texas I would not think you have to worry. My hens have been in a wood shed with only alight bulb for heat and heated dog dish for water. Each day I open their coop to the outside that it is above zero. My first winter problem was mites,because I did not know much and did not wnat to use poultry dust like my 84 year old mother kept telling me I needed to use. I now use it. Was doing good this year , but I guess our long record cold has added just too much stress. Hope I can get my girls thru a few more weeks. Thanks again for responding to my post.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is a good list of common poultry diseases to look over. Eye drainage is almost always a symptom, and bubbles or foam sometimes goes with it: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

10. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    My sebright has foam in her eyes and sneezes ALL the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by