fog & ventilation

kismit

Chirping
Oct 27, 2023
oregon, pacific northwest
the main concern i have at this point in the year is how to adjust our ventilation during our winter doldrums, where it is very cold and very foggy for extended periods of time. humidity is well over 100% and the air does't move. do i throw the louvres under the peaks wide like when its raining straight down or do i need to rig a fan to help the damp not have time to sit and accumulate?

the main concern i have at this point in the year is how to adjust our ventilation during our winter doldrums, where it is very cold and very foggy for extended periods of time. humidity is well over 100% and the air does't move. do i throw the louvres under the peaks wide like when its raining straight down or do i need to rig a fan to help the damp not have time to sit and accumulate?
Fog isn't an issue as it's not freezing and won't cause frost bite.. ammonia is.

Very cold to humans is NOT to chickens.. who are insulated by their feathers.

As long as your bedding is dry.. I wouldn't worry about it.. I also live in the PNW., on the coast.. so it isn't freezing (often) but humidity is almost always off the hook.

Humidity can't get above 100%.. 100% is raining/water.. Condensation does suck..

While I wouldn't consider a fan sufficient to stop the damp from "settling".. If I thought it would help (that humidity is higher in the coop than outdoor ambient).. would consider running a ventilation fan to exit EXTRA moisture.. like a bathroom does.. not blowing across or on the birds in any way.

So basically yes.. wide like when it's raining straight down.. sorry I took the long way to the point! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom