food and water at night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MNmommy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. MNmommy

MNmommy Songster

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    my Muscovy ducklings are almost 3 weeks and are ready to come out of the brooder pretty soon. I see what a mess they make all night with the water and so much poop and wondered if they would be fine without food and water from 10pm-6am??? Or should I at least keep water in?

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    No they are fine..I left my cayugas and khaki campbells without food and water when they were that old and they are fine. They just really like to eat in the morning then! [​IMG]

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Songster

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I agree, at 3 weeks they should be fine.

4. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Songster

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Right now mine are in their coop and have food and water 24/7 or until they run out LOL ... the water I used a big tupperware type container and cut the middle of the lid out, they have like a drip guard on it and they rarely spill water now.

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Don't worry...no matter how many precautions you take, the ducklings will eventually start spilling their water everywhere!

6. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Songster

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    idkkk... mine don't spill it at all now, they tried to swim in it the first time but now they're so big it doesn't quite....work out LOL so they kind of gave up. They much prefer to drink from their wading pool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: