food for winter???

callum123

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 5, 2010
HI everyone,

i have seen a few website's saying wheat is good for your hens in winter to fatten them up.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of food to give them as it is cold. i give them layers pellets right now, and they also like some bread in hot water.

i would be thankfull for any suggestions.

thanks callum,

In the Winter I bring down a pot of heated leftovers just before bedtime to heat them up. I usually make a pot of rice stew for them-a huge pot. Ill make a pot that will last me a few days

chicken stock ( I know I know) rice-veggies and meats-any meats that were left over from dinners I put in a food processer to mash it up and add to it-I bring down about 8 cups a night-

lots of other warmed leftovers too besides their layer lellets-scratch thrown around coop floor to make them dig around and mix up their bedding to stay turned for the deep litter method.

BOSS-black oil sunflower seeds too

I'm sure sonew's chickens greatly enjoy all those goodies -- but you shouldn't feel they are necessary, or you are evil because you don't cook them meals. Really, their regular feed is quite sufficient.

I find them some leftovers or bread or something most every day, too, because they come running for their treat, which I enjoy, and they seem to enjoy them. Not because they need it. I do try to make the sum of their treats higher in protein than their feed, though, because layer seems to skimp on it, or at least that is my notion.

Quote:
What a good momma you are. That sounds great! - for the BOSS - are we talking shell and all?

Cat food is always a good easy option - lots of protein. I add a little hot water to the dry kind and let it get mushy - they love it.

Quote:
DDawn is right-Im a sucker is all-I had them all on regular feed and really nothing else the first year-being a newbie I knew nothing better and didnt think they could eat other things-but I have alot of people who save me their leftovers-I collect them and make food for the chickens out of it-my family wont eat leftovers so I try and not cook too much for dinner but it happens and my chickens reap the benefits. I noticed though that chicks hatched from the diet they are on to be very hardy and healthy-so I keep doing it as I sell alot of hatching eggs-and want others to have the best chicks hatch that I can give them-this is just my humble opinion from what I have seen...when SPring Summer and Fall are here though they free range and the list of treats dwindles to just regular feed and whatever they eat outside with "some" treats not cooked meals!

Quote:
What a good momma you are. That sounds great! - for the BOSS - are we talking shell and all?

Cat food is always a good easy option - lots of protein. I add a little hot water to the dry kind and let it get mushy - they love it.

shell and all:) yes catfood I do that too-I buy the cheapest catfood they have which is 2.50$ for a 5lb bag and it lasts me about 10 days 28% protein
thumbsup.gif

Make friends with a local grocerie store they will give you lots of veggies and fruit that they are gonna toss. Rgey will also give you day old stuff they dont sell.

Mine get subway left overs.They love the bread, tomatoes! There are lots of options if you ask around.And my chickens are very healthy and happy. Canned corn from aldies is a big hit too.

Quote:

I have read on another chicken site that giving them sunflower hearts instead of BOSS will extract calcium, I would be interested to know others opinion on this.

Always have plenty of feed out. Perhaps, the most reasonable way is to always have their commercial feed available, free-choice.

They will eat more during cold weather to stay warm. They need the calories.

Giving the hens an excess of low-calorie foods like leafy green vegetables when they do not have high-calorie feed would be a mistake. Laying hens require a diet with about 1300 calories per pound of food. But, as an example, a pound of lettuce only has about 60 calories.

The hen has a limited capacity to eat and digest her food. Cold weather is not a time for a low-calorie diet.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom