Food Storage Ideas

Nov 7, 2020
Chicago
What systems/containers do you prefer for storing feed and supplements/treats and keeping them fresh? We will store food in the walkout of our basement.. We currently store wild bird food in the same area in covered plastic buckets, but we'll have things like scratch in much smaller quantities and feed in much larger quantities. Any suggestions for what you like to keep food fresh? I've seen suggestions of metal garbage cans, but not sure if that can seal our moisture as well. While not outdoors, the area is prone to leaks.

Newer metal cans often have holes where the handles on the sides and lid attach. Silicone or RTV those holes. Setting the cans on blocks or a pallet will help keep the bottoms from rusting out. Metal cans usually will not keep things as fresh as tightly lidded plastic buckets/containers because they are not as well sealed but they are way better than plastic for varmint proof-ness.
If your metal lid does not fit tightly, you may want to put something heavy on top.

Newer metal cans often have holes where the handles on the sides and lid attach. Silicone or RTV those holes. Setting the cans on blocks or a pallet will help keep the bottoms from rusting out. Metal cans usually will not keep things as fresh as tightly lidded plastic buckets/containers because they are not as well sealed but they are way better than plastic for varmint proof-ness.
If your metal lid does not fit tightly, you may want to put something heavy on top.
I run a bungee cord between the handles and through the lid handle, and it works great! Mine is out in the weather and has stayed perfectly dry inside even in pouring rain.

You said that the area where you plan to store it does have leak's. You can use a sealant to seal up any gaps on the inside of the lid where the handles are at on the metal garbage can's. That will stop any water from getting in. My lid fit's snugly on mine.

Edit: When buying one of these metal one's with the lid's, make sure that the lid is going to fit snuggly before you purchase it in the store.

Last edited:
Okay , OP..... Four chickens. Do you buy small bag. Get a plastic gallon storage container... Or better yet Walmart has large glass container with lids. I'll take a picture. It holds a big bag of sugar or flour. It's a giant jar..... Bigger than a mason jar.

Ours are currently on growers feed which we get in small 5lb bags, but do plan to get larger bags once they are on layer feed

I think I know the jars you mean. We used to keep pet food in them in our condo when it needed to be stored in the open. I think that will be too small for what we're thinking but is a great idea for smaller bags like scratch. Thanks!

The local feed store we buy from has either 5lbs bags or 40lbs (or around there). Small bags seem to be repack from larger and I'd like to move away from that. I'd prefer to shop local so I only have two options for sizes!

You said that the area where you plan to store it does have leak's. You can use a sealant to seal up any gaps on the inside of the lid where the handles are at on the metal garbage can's. That will stop any water from getting in. My lid fit's snugly on mine.

Edit: When buying one of these metal one's with the lid's, make sure that the lid is going to fit snuggly before you purchase it in the store.

This is super helpful to hear. Thanks to you and all for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom