? for genetics people....

evonne

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Las Vegas
i just set my first clutch of eggs in the bator, and i'm wondering what will come out... want thoughts on the subject... mom is a white leghorn and this is dad.. he's EE

someone already mentioned that the beard and muff are dominant so that should show up....
i'm just curious what else i might expect...
and the hens from this set? will they lay white eggs like mom, or colored eggs from dad's genes?? could i sell the chicks as EE's??
will the looks of the babies be dependant on what the roo had in his background?
any thoughts?? or di i just have to wait and see?

The chicks will probably be white with black flecks. The beard & muffs ought to show to varying extents. At least some of the female chicks will probably, but not certainly, lay blue or greenish eggs (if the male has at least one blue egg gene). Presuming the white leghorn mother has a floppy comb, those offspring which inherit a pea comb from their father will have a longer possibly floppy pea comb (One cannot necessarily tell by looking whether your male has one or two peacomb genes).

hhmmm mom's comb is large, and red, but not floppy... actually stands up nice and pretty... had my hubby thinking he was a roo for a while.. lol..
white with black flecks will be cute....

what is the general rule with chickens and inbreeding... if i keep any of these hens should i keep them away from their dad?? or does it not matter with chickens??
i'd like to keep some just to see what they grow up to look like...
i'm just geting my feet under me with this and i want to learn the genetics of breeding..

Back
Top Bottom