Foraging behavior

ofar81

Hatching
Jul 11, 2023
Hi. I have 4 young chickens (approximately 2 months old). They are not pure bred. They are all mixed. They are in a run most of they day but I do let them out to free range for a few hours each day. From the first day I got them around 3 weeks old, they would go crazy the second i let them out. Foraging non stop and scratching the ground with their legs non stop and pecking non stop.
Then a week ago i added 3 white Sussex poulets to the flock. They are also 2 months old. But when I let them out of the run they are much more chill... and kind of lazily walk around and peck at the ground but rarely scratch with their feet... they just walk around and peck at the ground or weeds..etc..
I am curious why these 3 sussex behave so differently than my first 4. Is it because they are a different breed? Are sussex less aggressive/energetic foragers? Or could it be a lack of opportunity to learn how to forage (before I got them they were kept in a coop with a cement floor so no real opportunity to forage). If so, do you think they will 'learn' to be more energetic foragers (scratching the ground...etc) as they have more opportunity to free range now that they joined my flock?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom