Pardon my laughter, but now I dont feel so bad. I suspected 2 summers ago I had a yard nest when egg production dropped off. I checked every area I had found one before and what I thought would make a good place. Everytime I heard a hen squawking I ran outside to find that hen. This went on for 3 weeks till one day I was outside in the right place right time. I saw she was near a bucket tilted over that was a third full of rusty bent nails that I had from reclaiming lumber. I knew there was no way chickens would lay on those nails. 31 or 32 eggs later proved me wrong. Well you beat me, thankfully! Your the winner! The chickens showed up both of us.

I am kinda still in shock... Probably will just give them to the cats and chickens, as both really like eggs...

But here’s the thing I was wondering about... how long have my chickens been laying here!? Only three chickens were involved in this!

View attachment 2123151
Wow, that’s crazy! We found 26 under an old truck that was in a back corner of our yard (which I’ve since made my husband dispose of). We tossed them, for 2 reasons. First, we had no idea how old they were, and 2nd at time time our flock was coming off antibiotics because of a respiratory infection. We weren’t eating the eggs anyway because of the meds.

Like everyone else her, I’m blown away. What I would love to see is one of the chickens Laying an egg on that pile. I mean, what the hell are they thinking? Do they lay on the edge? Do they walk around on them carefully and find a spot? Do they sorta plan it and tell each other they’re heading to the hideout to lay— and sneak away giggling? Do they look back at the pile with pride? Do they stand around it and stare at it in awe? Do they rearrange the eggs occasionally??

I am kinda still in shock... Probably will just give them to the cats and chickens, as both really like eggs...

But here’s the thing I was wondering about... how long have my chickens been laying here!? Only three chickens were involved in this!

View attachment 2123151
More then three. How long have u been getting a couple eggs a day. Ok listen if one chicken lays in a weird spot they all lay. Always need to keep an eye out. Take all the eggs even a weird spot. If one keeps doing leave them in for a couple days put golf balls in nest boxes. So they know hay good spot already and egg. Yes they r not that smart!

View attachment 2123151
Holy cow! Were these three also laying in their laying boxes or did you just think these 3 chickens weren’t laying for the past month? I’m surprised a predator didn’t find them. You may have to keep these guys in the coop a few days with fake eggs in the nesting boxes to get them to go back to laying there.

More then three. How long have u been getting a couple eggs a day. Ok listen if one chicken lays in a weird spot they all lay. Always need to keep an eye out. Take all the eggs even a weird spot. If one keeps doing leave them in for a couple days put golf balls in nest boxes. So they know hay good spot already and egg. Yes they r not that smart!

I only have two who lay white eggs, and all of the brown eggs were the same color and size. Also, I had been looking for white eggs for a month!

I have been keeping an eye out, as my dad suspected the white egg-layers might’ve been laying elsewhere...

As of late, I have been getting white eggs in the coop again, so there’s no need to re-train Dandelion and Angel (the two who lay white eggs) to lay in the coop again. The brown egg layer, who I think might be Snowfall, has started to lay somewhere else. Not in the coop however...

Back
Top Bottom