Found a baby chick what do I do

choco

Hatching
Sep 29, 2016
Hi I found a baby chick I think someone bought a whole lot and this lil fella fell out of the box! I hav parrots,dogs ,rabbit bt neva had a chicken !I brought da chick home someone sold me a bag of broiler maintenance, I don't know if it's ok to feed him dat and also keep him in a cardboard box at night during da day I leve him in a storage box so he can run around( day 3 since I got him hs so lil and fluffy yellow) please help me I don't want him to die
1f614.png

I'm guessing you're in the tropics somewhere, maybe Jamaica? Just a hunch. If it's warm night and day, you won't need extra heat, but a baby chick in most of the rest of the world would probably need a heat source to keep it warm.

If you could verify where you live, we can try to help you more. The feed you bought is fine. The chick will be okay eating it. Make sure it has fresh water and that it can't fall into the dish and drown in it. You can fill the dish with water and put small rocks in it and that should keep it safe.

I am in south Africa da past two days it was hot 2day was a bit cold I keep her in a cardboard box with holes and inside my walkin closet where it's a little warmer

Thanx 4 ur reply ,I use a plastic lid 4 water and take it out at nite coz she stands in da water looking 4me ! It's incredible how quickly attached she got to me! My hearts sore when she screams out and I just have to ignore her
1f641.png

Ek kannie Afrikaans skryf nie, maar ek praat nog a bitjie. The chick should be on chick starter for food, but the food you have is better than none!

Do you have an electric heating pad? If it gets cooler than 25C, your little chick is going to need to be kept warm. Since there aren't any other chicks for it to snuggle with, a heating pad on a wire frame, with a couple of rolled up socks under it will keep it warm and make it feel as if there are other chicks with it.

Look at the thread here in this forum called "Mama Heating Pad for the Brooder." It will show you how to set up a heating pad "cave" for your chick. But the system requires a heating pad that can stay on indefinitely, not turn itself off.

Of course your chick has bonded with you. It thinks you are its broody mama hen!

Thanx
1f60a.png
I did put in 1 of my old t-shirt and a piece of fLeece material in there for da chick I think hs doing well now he loves his storage box home I just keep him in his card box at night just to stay warmer and it has ventilation!his a clever chick and I think I learnt a new language(chicken) lol coz I began to distinguish his cry from his chirps thanx guys 4da response
1f60a.png
I'll keep u updated maybe I'll need future help I didn't manage to get growing mash bt I asked dm to order 4 me so hopefully by Monday

Back
Top Bottom