Falooda

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2023
My little brother recently went to a farm house with my dad. It’s owned by a friend of my dad’s. While there, he saw them killing runt baby chicks. (know it’s runt because he asked why are u kill killing them and they said it’s because the chicks were too small.)

My brother originally picked up two of them but one died on the way back to our place.

The problem? We live in an apartment so we can’t get another chick. I ordered a brooder but it’s not arriving until tomorrow. we’ve been keeping this chick warm with blankets.

She’s sleeps in a cardboard box with a blanket and stays on the bottom half of our budgie cage (it had two sections, we selected the sections with a net.. The budgies and her get along okay and don’t harm each other (they like to look
for food together.)

The chick keeps YELLING at random times and I don’t know how to comfort it.
In the three days we had it, it developed a Crop (had to use backyard chicken to find that out).

The chick constantly wants to stay out the cage. I’ve been feeding it dried mealworms, with some lettuce, basil seeds and a few other veggies (chopped really finely).

I genuinely don’t know what to do. Once the brooder comes, I’ll see if there’s a difference in her behavior but so far, idk what to do.

Please please please help!! Let me know if I should give him away or keep him and what I should do if I keep him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8731.jpeg
    IMG_8731.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 16
  • bcbea590-f68a-4c1b-8794-7b78a148afb3.jpeg
    bcbea590-f68a-4c1b-8794-7b78a148afb3.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 22
It might need chick grit to process its food. It should have starter chick food. And you should make sure it is around 95 degrees if it is under a week old. I would honestly try to find it a home with other chicks, thanks for saving it!
I live in NY, so I don’t know how to find a new home for him 😭

It might need chick grit to process it's food. It should have starter chick food. And you should make sure it is around 95 degrees if it is under a week old. I would honestly try to find it a home with other chicks, thanks for saving it!
Also, I don’t know it’s age. I did some research and guessed that he’s around a week old but i’m not sure about his age.

The problem? We live in an apartment so we can’t get another chick. I ordered a brooder but it’s not arriving until tomorrow. we’ve been keeping this chick warm with blankets.
The chick keeps YELLING at random times and I don’t know how to comfort it.
The chick constantly wants to stay out the cage.
Your chick is lonely and depressed because chickens are meant to be flock birds. Furthermore, you do no have a brooder, and the chick is very cold.

In the three days we had it, it developed a Crop
What do you mean by the chick developed a crop? All chickens are hatched with their crop, otherwise they would not be able to properly digest their food.

I genuinely don’t know what to do. Once the brooder comes, I’ll see if there’s a difference in her behavior but so far, idk what to do.

Please please please help!! Let me know if I should give him away or keep him and what I should do if I keep him.
There will not be a difference in the chick's behavior unless you let it become a house chicken and stay with you forever, but the chick will always be lonely, depressed, and frightened, unless it is one of the few that become accustomed to the house. My suggestion is to rehome your chick to a person who has other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom