Found a banded pigeon! Connecticut!

Just wanted to jump in and answer the Bantam chickens with pigeons question.
Yes, I have kept these together. I have winter housing inside my garage loft portion for my chickens. I separated the loft for the few bantams, and pigeons,,, and the large standard chickens were in other portion. The bantams and pigeons did agree with each-other. Pigeons roosted in their place, and chickens somewhat other roost area. Both shared water, and feed.
The one thing that would cause problems, would be.... if pigeons would have young ones. The chickens would,,,, well the word starts with K. :hitthe squabs.
I did not have any hatching during the times, that chickens were together with my pigeons.
Hoping this will give you the correct idea, to keep the two separate for best results.

Interesting thread.

Many years ago I was out riding my horse and came upon a pigeon in our field. It was unable to fly and I was able to dismount and catch it with ease. Returned home with my find. It had similar bands and had taken a piece of buckshot through it's wing. I had no idea who to call and had to go to work so I turned it over to my mom who called our vet. They gave us the number of the local pigeon racing club and she called them.

Yes, it was one of it's member's birds and they were thrilled that somebody had found it and contacted them. the bird had not reached its destination and they were worried that it had been killed.

When all else fails, call a vet!
Calling a vet would have been such a good idea! It didn't cross our minds as the bird was uninjured, but in future situations I will definitely take better looks at the bands, and call a vet. I saw something when I was looking things up after the fact that showed someone using a cat carrier like you would use to bring a cat to the vet, with a rescued pigeon and its food and water bowls. Is that a good option to do if I end up in a similar situation? I want to be better prepared. It's a good thing that both my friend and I have chickens so know how to handle birds.

Just wanted to jump in and answer the Bantam chickens with pigeons question.
Yes, I have kept these together. I have winter housing inside my garage loft portion for my chickens. I separated the loft for the few bantams, and pigeons,,, and the large standard chickens were in other portion. The bantams and pigeons did agree with each-other. Pigeons roosted in their place, and chickens somewhat other roost area. Both shared water, and feed.
The one thing that would cause problems, would be.... if pigeons would have young ones. The chickens would,,,, well the word starts with K. :hitthe squabs.
I did not have any hatching during the times, that chickens were together with my pigeons.
Hoping this will give you the correct idea, to keep the two separate for best results.
Ok, thanks for the help with that! I just love imagining having an aviary with all sorts of small birds flying and hopping around. I wasn't thinking larger bantams like silkies, only seramas and sebrights. *is desperate to make my vision work* If I raised them all together from day one, do you think that that would work? Can you buy day old pigeons? Is that a thing? Sorry for all my annoying questions :)

Calling a vet would have been such a good idea! It didn't cross our minds as the bird was uninjured, but in future situations I will definitely take better looks at the bands, and call a vet. I saw something when I was looking things up after the fact that showed someone using a cat carrier like you would use to bring a cat to the vet, with a rescued pigeon and its food and water bowls. Is that a good option to do if I end up in a similar situation? I want to be better prepared. It's a good thing that both my friend and I have chickens so know how to handle birds.
My pigeon lived in a 18"x24" wire dog crate for a few months when I first got him. For overnight I would say a cat crate would be fine though.

Ok, thanks for the help with that! I just love imagining having an aviary with all sorts of small birds flying and hopping around. I wasn't thinking larger bantams like silkies, only seramas and sebrights. *is desperate to make my vision work* If I raised them all together from day one, do you think that that would work? Can you buy day old pigeons? Is that a thing? Sorry for all my annoying questions :)
Pigeons need their parents for a few weeks. So, you probably CAN buy day old pigeons, but you SHOULDN'T try to as they are much better off with their parents feeding them than being tube fed by a human.

My pigeon lived in a 18"x24" wire dog crate for a few months when I first got him. For overnight I would say a cat crate would be fine though.

Pigeons need their parents for a few weeks. So, you probably CAN buy day old pigeons, but you SHOULDN'T try to as they are much better off with their parents feeding them than being tube fed by a human.
Thanks for that information! I bet I'd be able to take one inside if it was in a cat crate as well, instead of leaving it out.

Thanks! Without knowing that I proooooooooobably would have tried to buy baby pigeons. Now I know! Where do you buy pigeons?

Thanks! Without knowing that I proooooooooobably would have tried to buy baby pigeons. Now I know! Where do you buy pigeons?

You would not have found baby pigeons for sale.
Pigeons usually pair up (one male, one female).
The female usually lays two eggs, which the parents take turns sitting on.
When the eggs hatch, the babies are bald and helpless.
The parents go get food and bring it back to feed the babies.
(Basically, just like you'd expect of wild-type birds that fly around.)

Where to buy pigeons:
Strombergs sells some (young adults, they say.) Looking at their website is also a fun way to see photos of many kinds of pigeons.

Some breeders have websites. Google can help find some of them.

Or look on craigslist, or join a pigeon forum or pigeon club..

If you find a stray pigeon and locate the owner--you could ask if they have any for sale, or if they know anyone who does.

I saw something when I was looking things up after the fact that showed someone using a cat carrier like you would use to bring a cat to the vet, with a rescued pigeon and its food and water bowls. Is that a good option to do if I end up in a similar situation?
why would you put it in the crate? are your making it somewhere? Yes, the crate could keep it for a day or two with good and water.
Can you buy day old pigeons? Is that a thing? Sorry for all my annoying questions :)
pigeons hatch out altricial, this means they rely on their parents 100% to feed and protect them. You can buy baby pigeons, but this is for the very experienced and requires lots of time. As they need to be hand-raised with special formulas.
IMG_20200608_133130.jpg
IMG_20200427_142932.jpg

Where do you buy pigeons?
Craigslist! Lots of them available there, and you can avoid shipping which is expensive and stressful for the birds.

If I raised them all together from day one, do you think that that would work? Can you buy day old pigeons? Is that a thing? Sorry for all my annoying questions :)
There is nothing annoying about your questions. :hugs And this forum is very friendly to peeps that have questions.. How else will you learn.
The posts above did address the question well. I just wanted to add this.
Pigeons and baby chicks would not grow up and be all friendly like a puppy and kitten would be.
Also best to get your pigeons locally, or within reasonable travel. Shipping is costly, stressful on pigeon and you, and only justified if you need a certain kind, and none available near you.

There is nothing annoying about your questions. :hugs And this forum is very friendly to peeps that have questions.. How else will you learn.
The posts above did address the question well. I just wanted to add this.
Pigeons and baby chicks would not grow up and be all friendly like a puppy and kitten would be.
Also best to get your pigeons locally, or within reasonable travel. Shipping is costly, stressful on pigeon and you, and only justified if you need a certain kind, and none available near you.
Ok, thank you! I was thinking about how you can raise bantam and standard chickens together and they'll be fine. Within reasonable travel would mean that you could do the journey in a day, yes? I understand how shipping could be stressful. I always feel bad when things have to be shipped, even if they're baby chicks and can't remember it! Do you have to integrate pigeons (different pigeons or types) or pigeons and quail together the same way that you do with chickens? How does integration work?

Back
Top Bottom