floridachickhatcher

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Hollister,FL
92874_100_0568.jpg

we called animal control to take him away

Quote:
not nessicerily, pigs are AMAZING escape artists, and once they do get out, they can roam for miles.

friend of my friends has a 500lb Duroc mix pig who is a pet and 7 years old, he gets out of his spacious pen on average of 25 times a year, no matter how many toys, how much food, or how much attention he is given, if he wants out he WANTS out, I'm amazed at the power a pig has in it's nose alone.

once Frankferter (the pigs name), got out and was gone for over two weeks, until the animal control in a town FOUR hours away answered their add about a missing pig.

Last edited:
Aww. i hope the little guy finds his home...
sad.png

Mine have been breaking out lately too... they are sooo strong, their little noses can lift and shove amazing things out of the way to DIG out of a fence... *sigh*

Thank god, my neighbors are cool and bring them, home for us... (they literally go to the neighbors house begging treats.. or when they hear one of neighbors running power tools, they break out to go investigate.. something about power tools or power saws or leaf blowers the sound makes them run up to you
hu.gif
)
Yeah... i need to get my neighbors something good for Christmas..
lol.png

But piggies are grounded now until we can make the fence around the yard stronger.. put logs along the bottom or something...
They are NOT happy campers...
hmm.png

If your pigs are getting out try running a single strand of electric wire at nose height. My little pig pen is made out of 1x4 wood and i have no problems with escape.

Quote:
He he he.... i'll tell hubby about the electric wire...
He said he "should" have the problem fixed his next day off by placing big logs on the spots they are digging out under...
we'll see...
roll.png

Yeah, they cant get out of their pig "pen" either..(thats where they are grounded too)
BUt i also let them daily into my yard to forage and get excercise...
but my yard is small and hilly... and it dips down a hill into the woods....
So... running a secure fence line was/is a major PIA... *sigh*
We've had it this way for several years now and its worked fine... only this last fall have they really started to break out..
hmm.png

What i found was.. they loove going into the woods to eat the acorns... so.. you know a pig..once they KNOW that food is on the other side of the fence... they can be super stubborn.
he.gif

Quote:
A lot of people. I used to work with a lady who did potbelly rescue, and they were always inundated. People get them and don't realize how big they will get, or how much work they are, etc.

Thought I would post a picture of my little pig pen. I laid out railroad ties and Nailed 2x4 uprights to them then nailed the 1x4s on and run 2 strands of electric on the inside. This is the second batch of pigs i have raised in it with no escapee's.

100693_phot0080.jpg

Back
Top Bottom