JavelinaFarms

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
One of our egg buyers called us today. Apparently, there was a wild male duck hiding under a bush near the building he works in. He was frantic, so we came out and took a look at it. The duck was a bit dehydrated and has had an eye injury at some point. His left eye is hazy and he has been holding it shut. I started treating it with terramycin, but I am pretty sure he is going to be blind permanently in that eye. I can handle the treating him, but I don't know what to do once I finish treating, should I let him go? Or since he is blind in one eye, should I keep him? He is VERY docile, even more so than my ducks. If I keep him, is there any concerns about him being with my ducks. We have him separated out, and plan on keeping him that way until completely healed.

X2- most places in the US can dish out pretty heavy fines for keeping wildlife, even if you're just trying to help. There should be a wildlife rehab center or refuge that can help you help him!

Ok, thanks for the help! I have no idea what kind of duck it is. He is actually more tame than my ducks, haha.
I'll try contacting a rescue group.

I know it has been a while, but I thought you all might want an update. We were able to heal his eye and turn him loose. He regained his vision, so he was able to go back to his home. Once we turned him loose, he did try running back into the truck!

Attachments

• DSC_5136.JPG
    DSC_5136.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_5143.JPG
    DSC_5143.JPG
    771.4 KB · Views: 50
Where did you release him? can he fly? he doesn't look like a wild mallard or other wild duck so he was probably a dumped duck you nursed back and now he is dumped again.
We live near a small college campus. They have a very large duck pond on their golf course, several years ago they decided to buy ducks and release them on campus. Now there are several wild ducks that call the duck pond home and are cross-breeding with the domesticated ducks. The ducks are not managed except for the treats they get from visitors and students. We released back to the bush where he was caught.
That was actually one of the reasons it was so hard finding a wildlife center to take him, so he was not a completely "wild bred" duck.

Back
Top Bottom