Found chicken sitting in snow, won't move

kh1988

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2017
Yesterday in Ct we got like a foot of snow. I went out to check on the chickens, and found one of them outside sitting in the snow almost covered in snow. I picked her up and placed her in the coop because I had to go to work, when I got back from work she still hadn't moved. So I took her inside the house last night and she still hasn't stood up, she just sits there. Seems fairly alert, just won't stand up or move. She was fine the day before, and then all the sudden she's buried in snow not moving. Any thoughts, thank you?

Yesterday in Ct we got like a foot of snow. I went out to check on the chickens, and found one of them outside sitting in the snow almost covered in snow. I picked her up and placed her in the coop because I had to go to work, when I got back from work she still hadn't moved. So I took her inside the house last night and she still hasn't stood up, she just sits there. Seems fairly alert, just won't stand up or move. She was fine the day before, and then all the sudden she's buried in snow not moving. Any thoughts, thank you?
Maybe a northern will think of something other than frostbite. @BantyChooks
:fl for your hen

Maybe a northern will think of something other than frostbite. @BantyChooks
:fl for your hen
No, I'd try soaking feet in room temp water. Frostbite can be painful and should show some discoloration of the skin on her feet and comb. Not sure what breed you have, but cold hardy breeds should be able to withstand what you described if it wasn't for hours on end. I had a buff orp that decided to hang outside for the day in -10 and suffered very light frostbite, but was out of the wind which, of course, also comes into play. Normally, though, a chicken will head to a spot out of the wind if they can.

The only time I have seen mine that inactive, they had coccidiosis and needed a few drinks of medicated water to get them going. I initially had to dip the tip of the beak in water to get them going. Is she drinking or showing any interest in eating? Any excrement?

She will eat. Maybe drinking a little, havnt actually seen her drink. She is pooping, looks normal

She will eat. Maybe drinking a little, havnt actually seen her drink. She is pooping, looks normal
Hmmm. Any discoloration or signs of frostbite on the feet or comb? What breed?

You may have just found the smartest chicken of your flock! She's inside while the others aren't!

It's a red sex link, no visible frost bite on feet. Slight slight on the tips of comb,but I don't think thats keeping her from walking. It's been cold here in ct, below 0. My other sex links are holding up ok. She is in my house now, about 65deg.

Back
Top Bottom