Found one dozen eggs hidden behind the house. Possibly three days old. Are they safe to keep?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Schrods, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Schrods

Schrods New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    South Dakota
    So Im trying to find info on egg collecting. I usually collect daily or every other day at the longest. Today I found one dozen eggs hidden behind the house. They were not there four days ago. Id hate to throw that many eggs out. Are they safe to keep?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I personally would throw them out or feed them back to your chickens. Why risk it for a dozen eggs.

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    If you take them and put them in a bucket of water, and any float to the top, discard them. If they stay laying on the bottom, or even if they stand on end, but don't float off the bottom, they are edible.

4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Eggs stay "good " in the nest for up to 14 days before hens start to set. So 4 days old, they should be fine. But test them as noted above.

You need to pen up your hens to get them back to laying in the nest boxes, if that was 4 days worth of eggs, at least 4 hens laid in that spot!

5. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    I had an EE that inexplicably "stopped laying" earlier this year for about a week and a half. I thought it was very odd until I found a small trail of her green eggs leading to a small clutch under a bush in my front yard. There were 8 eggs in total. I did the float test and they all tested "fresh"! They were delicious! Not a thing wrong with them.
    I had people tell me I HAD to "lock the whole flock up for at least a week to retrain her to lay in the boxes." I wasn't willing to do that from the get so I just clipped the branch that made that spot private and she went straight back to laying in the boxes!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    4 out of 5 of my girls lay by 10am. So if you can open the coop at 10am, give that a try. Increase 1 hour increments as needed till you see success. GC

8. Schrods

Schrods New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    South Dakota
    Thanks for the advice! My hens have only been laying for about a month so I'll try keeping them in the coop more in the morning. A few hens have started staying outside at night with the goats so I'm guessing these are my outside layers.

9. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Get them hens into the pen and keep them there for at least week.
    Letting them roost outside is just offering them up to the coons & owls.
    Plus by locking them in the pen will get them back to laying in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by