Found one of my hens dead today. Warning Vent Photo

flwrldy

Songster
6 Years
Apr 20, 2017
NH
My Coop
My Coop
DC48B436-37FC-4946-859C-501ED4C09937.jpeg This afternoon I went to do my usual check of the flock and when I opened the coop door one of my 9-1/2 month old Buff Orpingtons hens was laying there dead. I was devastated, these birds are my babies. Last night and this morning she was absolutely fine. I looked her over for injuries and found none. I did however think her vent looked odd and took a photo. I also took her for a necropsy and will know the results in the next 24-48 hours. The only thing the pathologist said was that chickens are like goldfish they sometimes just die. I was not happy with that, but I’ll know the real reason soon enough, but waiting is driving me nuts in case it’s something that could cause more of my babies to die Could she have a prolapse and would it cause sudden death? It’s been super cold until this Monday today being Wednesday and egg production has been way down except for my two khaki Campbell ducks who lay everyday regardless. But yesterday and today egg production was almost back to normal.

View attachment 1232635 This afternoon I went to do my usual check of the flock and when I opened the coop door one of my 9-1/2 month old Buff Orpingtons hens was laying there dead. I was devastated, these birds are my babies. Last night and this morning she was absolutely fine. I looked her over for injuries and found none. I did however think her vent looked odd and took a photo. I also took her for a necropsy and will know the results in the next 24-48 hours. The only thing the pathologist said was that chickens are like goldfish they sometimes just die. I was not happy with that, but I’ll know the real reason soon enough, but waiting is driving me nuts in case it’s something that could cause more of my babies to die Could she have a prolapse and would it cause sudden death? It’s been super cold until this Monday today being Wednesday and egg production has been way down except for my two khaki Campbell ducks who lay everyday regardless. But yesterday and today egg production was almost back to normal.

I understand you not being happy with the pathologist saying *sometimes they just die*... but it is true. It could be a birth defect. It could have been something it ate off the ground. It could have been a plethora of things. Maybe it choked on a seed. There are some things completely out of our bird loving hands. I hope you get some result, but don't be terribly upset if there is nothing *wrong* once the necropsy report returns. :hugs

Hi

I'm of the camp that there is always a cause for death. Yes chickens can just die suddenly, but there is something that causes it, be it organ failure, disease injury etc and like you I want to know what it was and if there is anything I need to do to prevent future deaths or sickness.
That vent looks like it may be prolapsed to me although the photo is not that clear and it's always difficult to judge from a photo anyway or perhaps she is/was egg bound. Have you had the opportunity to observe her closely the last few days? Chickens will try to hide illness, so she may have been sick for a few days and you just didn't notice, especially at this time of year when it is dark when you go to work and dark when you come home and cold outside, so we don't spend nearly so much time enjoying our feathered friends. Egg binding will usually be fatal within 2-3 days and can cause them to prolapse. The prolapse itself would be fatal if the tissue dried out and became necrotic and infected but it doesn't look that bad. There are many other chicken illnesses and diseases though.
I will be interested to read the necropsy report if you will be good enough to post it when you receive it. I applaud you for organising to have one done, especially at such short notice with the death being unexpected. I hope the result gives you some peace of mind.

I understand you not being happy with the pathologist saying *sometimes they just die*... but it is true. It could be a birth defect. It could have been something it ate off the ground. It could have been a plethora of things. Maybe it choked on a seed. There are some things completely out of our bird loving hands. I hope you get some result, but don't be terribly upset if there is nothing *wrong* once the necropsy report returns. :hugs

Thank you ❤️. :hugsI wasn’t so upset that he said, “sometimes they just die”, but that he said, they’re just like goldfish, and just die. I would hope they’re tougher and hearter then a goldfish, especially when we work so hard to keep them hearty and healthy. I’m thinking it could be some vent issue because I don’t think her vent looks normal, but yes I hope it’s nothing that will effect the rest of the flock.:fl

Back
Top Bottom