Found one of my hens dead today. Warning Vent Photo

I'm sorry for your loss:hugsi hope you get some answers from the necropcy. I totally agree my chickens are way different from goldfish to me. I would be devastated for any of them to pass. I would want answers too. Best of luck to you <3
Thank you so much for all you said. I hope so too. :hugs

Necropsy Results.
(Has anyone heard of a hen dying from this?)

Post-mortem Examination
The necropsy was performed by Dr. Brian Stevens on January 11, 2018 at 8:00 am.
EXTERNAL FINDINGS:
The female chicken weighs 2.513 kg and is in good body condition with normal muscle mass, excess fat reserves, and normal hydration. Thereisayellowbandontheleftleg.
INTERNAL FINDINGS:
The liver is diffusely friable and pale tan. The left liver lobe is mottled red and tan over the surface and on cut section, there is scattered hemorrhage affecting approximately 40% of the left liver lobe. There is a large free-floating blood clot loosely adhered to the left liver lobe, which contains approximately 100 mL of frank blood.
DIAGNOSIS:
Liver: Diffuse hepatic lipidosis with parenchymal hemorrhage throughout the left liver lobe Coelom: Hemocoelom
COMMENTS ON POST-MORTEM EXAMINATION :
The only significant finding on post-mortem examination of this bird is the severely friable and pale liver with multiple regions of hemorrhage and subsequent coelomic hemorrhage. The amount of blood exuding from this site in combination with the amount of hemorrhagethroughoutthehepaticparenchymawouldhavebeensufficienttohavecausedthesuddendeath. Thepresenceof this hemorrhage as well as the appearance of the underlying hepatic tissue is consistent with the syndrome termed 'fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome'. The exact underlying cause appears to be multifactorial and likely involves a combination of nutritional, genetic, environmental, and hormonal factors. Chickens affected by this condition are typically in good to obese body condition suggesting that diet may play a role in this disease process. This is a chronic process that typically occurs over multiple months and would not be related to any recent changes in feeding practices. Histopathology of all tissue is pending to rule out any other underlying disease condition, which may have contributed to hepatic rupture in this case.
Reference : Trott KA et al. Fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome in the backyard chicken: a retrospective histopathologic case series. Vet Pathol 51(4):787-795, 2014.

Back
Top Bottom