Found sick rooster

Socc04b

Chirping
Aug 2, 2016
2 days ago I was driving into town and found a sick rooster walking down the middle of the road (55 mph country two lane). Another woman had stopped and was trying to get him to the side of the road. She and I talked decide he definitely needed help, but we were not sure where he came from. I picked him up and brought him home (I am part of a farm animal rescue). He was completely blinded by his eyes being matted shut and his nostrils were also sealed shut with dirt and mucous. He was mouth breathing and lethargic. I got him cleaned up some and into the vet. He has an upper and lower respiratory infection. They gave him a shot of antibiotics there and sent me home with oral meds. He is doing so much better already. Eating, drinking, pooping, resisting his meds. His eyes continued to crust over until today, but I applied an animal safe saline gel to them to help him gently open them. This morning they were completely clear, and only a small amount of discharge from his nose. He is quarantined from our other animals for now. Today while giving him his meds, I noticed that he also has lice or mites ( not sure which, but I definitely saw about 5 of them). We have the chicken dust, but I am wondering if it is safe to treat him while he is still recovering? Is it best to wait until fully well or go on and treat to get rid of them ASAP. Our vet is closed, but I will also leave a message with her.
Thanks

For lice or mites, I would recommend using permethrin spray or the garden dust, but the spray may be better while he has breathing issues. He sounds like he could have a respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma (MG, CRD) or coryza, both of which are contagious and can make carriers of all chickens exposed, along with other poultry. The best way to contain a carrier disease is to cull unfortunately. They can recover, but any other birds exposed at any time may become infected. Your vet could probably help with testing. Do you have other birds? Here is a good link to read which includes info about the 2 diseases above:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks so much. We do have other birds. He is doing much better, but is still isolated from the rest. I will check with vet on her recommendation if he can be introduced to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom