Frail chook with messy bottom

Kawkawkaye

Songster
Nov 23, 2017
Kimberley, Western Australia
We have three beautiful aracana-cross chickens (don't know exactly how to spell that but they're aka lavenders). All three are females and are approximately four years old.

(It's worth mentioning that our climate is extremely hot and during the summer months they go egg bound, and tend to have significantly smaller lifespans)

For several months now, one of our chooks has been having pooping troubles, as in she has poo accumulated all over her backside and stuck to her feathers. We've tried washing her with plain water, as we are afraid that chemicals may harm her. Regardless, just hours after washing, she has made a mess of herself again anyway.

She has always been significantly smaller and less timid than our others, and seems generally weaker. When foraging, she picks idly at the ground and doesn't seem to have much power in her at all.

This behaviour was normal for her, and she got by, but lately she seems significantly weaker and has lost a lot of weight. It is currently the hottest month and so this is partially expected to some degree amongst all our chooks, but she has definitely lost more weight than usual and sits around rather than digging and searching for food like our other chooks. She frankly looks pretty close to death.

I suspect that it is the heat that is affecting her most, so I'm interested in ways that we can make the weather less intense for her. Their pen has several small pools and sufficient shade, as well as lots of plants and foliage that they can sit under, so I'm really at a loss as to what else I can do.

Any advice as to how you keep your chooks cool, or about messy bottoms would be greatly appreciated!

Greetings kawkawkaye,

And welcome to BYC!

The constant diarrhea is dibilitating the hen. She is losing fluid and nutrients and will waste away, then die. It is not normal for any animal to have constant diarrhea. The added extreme temperatures are probably adding to her suffering.

If you don't resolve the diarrhea she may not make it through the Summer.

Possible Causes:
Coccidiosis Infection - Requires a fecal float test to confirm.
Worms - Could be multiple species. Again a fecal float test to confirm.
Enteritis - Inflammation of the intestine by microbes.

What to do?

Vitamin supplement: Give Nutri Drench 1 mL, orally with syringe for two days, then two days off, then again 1 mL for one more day. This should give her a boost and resolve any deficiencies.
Electrolytes: Add to water during temps over 103 degrees Fahrenheit. Recipes are online.
Probiotics: Give poultry probiotics in feed or orally depending on product. This is very important, as the hen's gut flora seems to be lacking.
Meat protein: Provide meat protien to boost the hen's strength, 3 times a week, till she is feeling better.
Broad Spectrum Antibiotic: Administer for 5-7 days, If you prefer, you can use an herbal formulation that is just as effective as traditional antibiotics. Here is my recipe, you can buy the herbs at any health food store or pharmacy.

I try to use herbal medicine when ever possible.

Recipe for Herbal Antibiotic, anti fungal and Immune System Support.

1 (760 mg) Capsule, Echinacea
1 (400 mg) Capsule, Golden Seal
1 teaspoon Hempseed Protein Powder (or other protein powder)
1 teaspoons warm water
1/2 teaspoon sweet syrup, * optional (omit for fungal/yeast infection)

Dosage for chicken:
weight 5 lbs. = 1.25 mL, twice daily or 2 mL, once a day for early symptoms.

May be given three times daily, 7 days, for severe symptoms: lack of appetite, diarrhea & lethargy.
Use for no more than 10 days. Break for 3 days, then you can repeat once more.

Supportive Care during recovery:
It gets very hot here during the Summer. And, I have found that an inexpensive misting system works much better than pools of water to cool the run down. Also adding a large box fan near the mister, will reduce temps by as much as, 20 degrees with shade! Extreme temps are very stressful for sick chickens.

Diet:
Feed her some cooked meat protein or cooked eggs, diced fruit, diced black or red grapes, fresh greens, cooked grains like: brown rice, wheat berries, oat groats, pearl barley, also some toast with butter is good. Always offer her moist feed daily.

These are the best treatments I have used to heal some of my sick chickens. Your little girl has been sick a long time. I would really try to have her poop tested with a fecal float test. Most Veterinarians will do the test for you, or even agricultural departments/agencies will do it. That test will identify any parasites that are making her ill. Then, you can administer the proper worming or other medications needed. You may even need to treat the whole flock.

Anyways, these are my thoughts, I really hope they are useful to you.

You will receive advice from other members, you should consider those too.

God Bless you and your little hen. :frow

One more thing, you should place the chicken in a hospital crate. Then, it will be easier on you to give her the attention she needs, and for her too. She won't have the other chickens to deal with and it is always best for the other chickens, to protect them from exposure to a possible infection.

I like to use a dog crate but even a box or area in the garage or wash room will do. Put down some paper, a towel or bedding to make clean up easier.

PICT0007.JPG

Here is my hen when she was sick with a crop impaction in October. Mr. Frito is paying his respects. Ha-ha-ha!

God Bless :)

Back
Top Bottom