Free range brooders

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PhoenixAngel429, Mar 31, 2011.

1. PhoenixAngel429

PhoenixAngel429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    East KY
    One of my free range hens is brooding in some weeds with 10 eggs outside. Anyone else brood and free range?

2. f8thnjc

f8thnjc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I would think she is "sitting duck" for predators. I don't know much about it though.

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I would move her, the nest and eggs to a nest in the coop instead of leaving her out in the woods for a million different predators to find.

4. PhoenixAngel429

Mar 24, 2011
    East KY
    Quote:We actually have few preadators in our area now, only chicken hawks once in awhile and dogs, but those were taken care of.

5. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I had one do that last year. I felt really good about her nest. Really well hidden. Around day 14 her eggs got eaten. She was ok, but missing so many feathers it looked like she molted overnight.
    I had one of my free range Sumatra's go broody today. In a shed. I tried moving her to a dog crate and she rejected it and attacked me in the face. So I moved the eggs back to her nest, and at dark locked her in the shed.
    It's all a gamble. So I'm told. I'm new to broody hens. But I'm thankful my 1st broody one this year went broody in a nest in the shed. Uggg, only 9 more Sumatra hens to worry about going broody in the open.

In the end, it's all with what you feel safe with.

6. PhoenixAngel429

Mar 24, 2011
    East KY
    Quote:Last year we had 3 free rangers brood but they were game so I wasn't too worried. One of the game hens flogged me when I was trying to help a tangled chick. [​IMG] This one is a Wyandotte so I don't know how well she will fare against preadators [​IMG]

7. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    My duck is brooding in some grass right now, but we've built fort knox around her - covered wire fence surrounded by a hot wire fence and my pyrador on patrol! She's got until the 11th to hatch [​IMG]

8. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    One of my free rangers went broody, and I ended up moving here. We are rural, but have skunks, coons, possums, dogs, etc. etc. She was well hidden but I still didn't want to risk it. She's now in the barn in a dog house, sitting on those eggs. Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by