French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    This is the fourth bathroom, in the guest wing (former servants wing) that I have appropriated the bedroom for my office and the former sitting room for an "aboveground basement". The room doesn't get much use for its original purpose, and it has running water and a window, so it's a nice place to incubate and brood. Plus it's right off my office, so I can close the door for conference calls.

The fixtures are original, the new wing was built in 1915, The clawfoot tub is tiny, only 4' long, and the sink is set at a height appropriate for a person 4' tall. Ceilings back here are only 7', and doorways are tall here at 6' 6". Some are right at 6' in the older parts of the house. I feel tall here [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I knew you weren't a fan. But the song will still be in my head all day...

[​IMG]

3. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch Premium Member

At least with country you can understand the lyrics, and don't need ear plugs

4. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    walnut,

I grew up in a house, built in the 1800's, but everything is just the opposite, on a much larger scale.

11' ceilings, doors are standard height, but the windows are 6' tall, and start at about 18" from the floor, all double hung with sash weights. the whole house is framed with true dimensional lumber, held together by spikes, or square nails. every wall in the house has solid wood lathing, never an issue to hang a picture where ever you'd like.

we never had central heat or ac until after I had graduated and moved out. Many is the time, I fell asleep in the summer, to the box fan that was propping open the window......

5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    The only country I can tolerate is Carrie Underwood, and I don't use earplugs. I just watch with the volume down

6. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch Premium Member

Carrie's a sweetheart, for sure. When she first appeared on AI I predicted she'd win it all; no one else could come close to her.

BTW, that was a really nice post you gave the kid next door a bit ago; didn't know you had it in you. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  7. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Yours must have been built 1850 or later...Italianate or Queen Anne. Ours was built in 1822, it's framed in 12 x 12 oak timbers and studded with 4 x 4 oak. The studs and joists are notched into the timbers, no nails, and the timbers are pinned with hickory pegs. No sheathing in this part of the house, just plaster over hand-split accordion lath. Upstairs, the original wide spruce floorboards are still in service. Some are 20" wide. This part of the house is built solid. In fact, all the windows are original!

The 1840 wing is balloon frame, over a cellar, with dimensional lumber studs running from the sill to the rafters of the second story. Floor joists are nailed to the sides of the studs to support the second floor. It's sheathed in random width horizontal planks. This construction is "springy". You can feel the wind, you can feel footsteps in the house.

The 1915 wing is single story, common studs sheathed in T&G plank with heart pine flooring. We had to rework this part quite heavily due to earlier renovations that left a brick chimney supported by the side walls and floor boards.

We installed gas heat and A/C when we moved in. The A/C gets turned on maybe 5 days a year, this year not at all. The cross ventilation and convection in this house is amazing. We moved the wood stove out of the chimney into the sunroom and feeding the woodstove firewood from our property offsets the gas heat by 2/3.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  8. Cockatrice6420

Cockatrice6420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Morning. Is your corner of hell frozen over?

9. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    We actually did have a hard freeze last night, but getting into the mid fifties today. T-shirt weather for the devil :gig

10. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    I think you are right, just from the square nails......

I'm not sure what the builder was thinking at the time, but the floor joist and support timbers are pretty crazy under the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by